Chapter 21: Crux

R1s: Smoking again Kommandant? (Commander?)

Nikolay gave her a side look as she approached him, his fingers swiftly took the cigarette off his lips and were followed by him exhaling the smoke before speaking.

Nikolay: Well, big operation ahead of us... Though I'm not worried about smoking but more about you

He replied turning his head around and staring at her.

R1s: How so?

She said giving back her usual piercing gaze that made him go mad inside the car ride. This time he shrugged it off and just kept speaking, looking away directly into the distant city in which laid their enemy.

Nikolay: You looked pretty sick just hours ago

R1s tilted her head as she kept staring at Nikolay unmoving from the sandbag barrier which he made his personal bench for the day.

R1s: Is that some term you learned from Fang?

Nikolay: No, the literal term of sick

He replied quickly looking back at her and giving off a stern aura.

Nikolay: I'm getting you checked once we finish our jobs here *Sigh* Just keep in mind I will do a full revision, try to keep your battery in tippy-top shape for that

He finished off saying and looked back into the city, the howl of the night forest making its presence as he finished speaking, R1s didn't reply, just stared at him for a while before looking down at the floor and sighing.

R1s: Ja Kommandant... (Yes commander...)

Nikolay: *Sigh* Here

He said out of a sudden, making R1s raise her eyes as she noticed something tossed at her out of nowhere, reacting quickly she caught it before it hit her face, getting a closer look she saw how it was a chocolate bar.

Nikolay: Go enjoy yourself before the operation begins, I don't need my soldiers with low morale early in the morning

He said with a slyish smile as he himself put the treat he was enjoying earlier back between his lips, tapping the ash of the tip of the cigarette after taking another puff.

R1s: ... Thanks

She responded as she started opening the wrapper containing the chocolate offered to her.

[23 Hours before, Julian's base, Commander's office]

Julian: Huh... I'm quite surprised we could come up with all these intricate cords into the plan in just an hour or so

Nikolay: You said it right? We gotta act quick, if we find a plan such as this that appeals both of us is more than enough to try it out

Julian: Hmm I guess...

She said looking at the board they used to organize the whole operation, extra details, and info on every aspect possible they could have gathered in record time. The plan, in a nutshell, was pretty simple, cut off site 3 from any other sites or bases, infiltrate the main complex with an assault team and cause as much havoc as possible while trying to neutralize the thing commanding the puppets, and lastly after letting the assault team escape from the main complex blow up every sewer system and entrance into the complex, the last task being done by a specialized demolition team.

Julian: I think everything is settled... I will send 2 helicopters to your base this afternoon, I expect that you've done your part by that time

Nikolay: Same goes to you, we better set up base camp or all this gonna turn out pretty rough after morning