TWENTY-ONE

Eliza's pov

I've always found it impossible to imagine that someone could ever love me. It's difficult for me to see someone looking for me in crowds or thinking about me when they first wake up. I always found it unthinkable for anyone to love me and everything that I lack. And I guess, now that someone did, it scared me.

It confused me but most of all it terrified me.

I had barely opened my eyes before my head was haunting me with the painful thought. The sun was casting bright, golden rays on my hand, which rested against a soft white sheet. I blinked and opened my eyes again, this time focusing on the unfamiliar room I was in. I lay still, my head pounding and my mouth felt awfully dry.

From what I could see of the room, from my lopsided stance, it was large, a little messy and only wooden furniture lined the walls and dark red patterned rugs littered the floor. The window had dark green and sheer curtains thing above and they swayed from the light breeze cast into the room. I could see another bed but nobody was in it.

How did I get here? Whose dormitory was this?

Suddenly, my confusion turned to fear and I raised my head from the comfortable pillow. The sheets rustled from the movement.

"You're awake?" I heard a raspy voice say from behind me. I turned, my head throbbing from the quick action. But confusion hit me again when I saw nobody. The other side of the bed was still neatly made.

I leant over, the sheets rustling once again from my movement. I rested my elbows against the mattress and looked over the side of the bed. It was Draco. I tensed. He was laying on the wooden floor with nothing but a pillow, his arms both resting behind his head.

He looked up at me. I looked down at him.

"Did you sleep on the floor?" I asked, my voice more strained then I expected it to be.

He nodded his head, "I didn't think you would want me to sleep in the same bed as you."

There was hurt in his tone and I wanted to rip myself into tiny pieces for making him feel like that.

"How did I get here?" I asked and he stood, instinctively I sat again, raising my hand to my head as if it would ease the pain.

"You were very drunk," Draco began as he sat on the edge of the bed. He wore a black shirt and dark green pyjama bottoms that hung loosely.

"What do you remember?" he questioned me, turning to face me and only now that the sun shined against his face did I see the dark bruise on his cheekbone and the small cut on his lips.

Then I remembered seeing Cedric and Draco fighting with one another. And then I remembered Cedric and I's conversation, no I only remember the words he said to me, "I invited you to this party only to fuck you." I remember the hurt I had felt but also the lack of emotion.

"I was at the Hufflepuff party," I told him, "and I remember drinking. A lot. I remember Cedric talking to me—"

He tensed.

"—he told me he wanted to. . . have sex with me," I felt disgusting, "I told him I didn't want to and then—and then—" I raised my hand to my neck, feeling Cedric's harsh hold, "and then you were on top of him."

I looked back up at Draco, meeting his cold gaze. A mix of emotions where swirling in his eyes—anger, sadness, disgust.

"I lost it when I saw him holding you like that," he said. His tone was cold and sent chills crawling up my spine.