FORTY-EIGHT

E L I Z A

I felt a chaotic storm in my head and fear in my heart but still, I stood in a pretty white dress, curled hair and pink lip gloss on my lips. My smile was vacant but I can force it when I need to. I had been practicing for the past forty minutes and I think I mastered a convincing smile.

This morning my mother picked out my dress and curled my hair after my shower. I think she knew I was nervous about today and she was trying her best to settle my nerves.

While getting ready, she asked me the questions any mother would ask. How did you meet him? She had asked and I laughed, a little embarrassed and told her I walked into him on the train. She shook her head, an amused grin on her lips. Is he good to you? She asked and I smiled, thinking of all the ways Draco makes me feel seen and loved. Yes, I told her and showed her the silver necklace with a green pendant Draco had gifted me.

Her brows raised and she seemed genuinely surprised. I turned around and asked, is father going to be pleasant this evening? My mother's only response was, I hope so.

Her hope lingered in my head when I waited all afternoon for them to arrive and when I walked down the stairs, I felt sick and wondered how I was going to force myself to eat. My father stood at the bottom of the stairs, wearing a black suit. No doubt the most expensive one to prove his wealth.

His eyes met mine and watched me walk the remaining steps, I felt instant dread when I realized my mother wasn't there.

"Come here, daughter," he demanded, in that calm tone.

I walked up to him with a hammering heart.

"The Malfoys will be here soon," my father's hand gripped my shoulder tightly, "you are incredibly stupid to have gotten involved with the Malfoy boy. And if I for one second don't think he is good for you then I will take this into my own hands and you and the boy will be over."

"Father, please—"

"I get it—you're young and when we are young we think we fall in love and end up regretting it later on," he said with a subtle roll of his eyes. He was wrong, I was in love with Draco. I knew that for certain.

"But, what I am trying to say is," he gripped my shoulder harder, "If he does anything to prove he is not worthy of you, I will end the relationship immediately. Do I make myself clear?"

I wanted to scream and shout at him but that would not help this situation at all. So I nodded my head, "Yes, Father." My blood was boiling and I was on the verge of crying but I remained as stealthy as I could. 

"Good," he grinned, brushing imaginary lint from my dress and just as my mother walked in, he said, "You look beautiful, darling."

I forced that smile I had practiced, "Thank you."

"They're here," Mother said and I couldn't tell if she was pleased or not. I knew she too had her own opinions of this family but unlike my father, she could be polite.

"Great," Father smiled from ear to ear and straightened himself.

We approached the door together, like a civilized family. We waited and heard the crack of apparition from outside the door. I clenched my hand into a fist, trying to calm myself down as my father rolled his neck. His bones cracked with his movement. My mother prowled forward and opened the door.