FIFTY-FIVE

E L I Z A

Today will be different, I told myself. Today I won't think about Noah or his threats. Today I won't be afraid. I promised myself as I walked down the corridor, doing well on my promise. I kept my head held high and even smiled when Luna passed me. I hadn't seen her in ages or maybe I had and I was just too trapped in my head.

"Eliza," a voice echoed from behind me, a voice old and wise but not a voice I wanted to hear, "May I have a few minutes of your time."

"I have Transfiguration," I told Dumbledore, my back still toward him but his footsteps neared and I saw his long tattered silver clock beside him.

"I will write you a note," he assured me. I looked up at him and met his wise old eyes and sighed discreetly. There's only one thing—one person—that this will be about. Dumbledore continued walking and I followed behind him.

I should be glad for his help and concern but so far it has gotten me nowhere. Noah doesn't care about Dumbledore and he certainly doesn't seem to give a shit about The Ministry. Noah only cares about himself and gaining as much power as possible.

~

"How have you been holding up?" Dumbledore asked as I took a tense sit in front of his desk.

Dumbledore swiveled into his large desk chair as I lied, "Good."

He smiled briefly but it never reached his tired eyes, "As you are aware, your father wanted to be kept informed about how you have been doing. I didn't want to keep pestering you, so I have been speaking to your professors," he continued and my body became increasingly warm, "I have been sending an owl every two days to your father."

"Has he sent one back?" I asked too quickly, desperate to know what he said if he had.

"No," he answered, "the owls have all been pleasant. He has received them but I don't think he will respond unless the owls are. . . well unpleasant."

If only he knew, I thought but then quickly realized that he would just tell me to suck it up.

"How are your classes?" Dumbledore questioned, "Are you keeping up with it all?"

"Yeah," I lied, "classes are good." I can barely concentrate or keep Noah out of my head and I constantly feel like he is standing behind me. Watching me. Waiting.

"If they aren't, or you are struggling in any way," he said, "you just let me know and we can have arrangements made. What you have been through is nothing of the ordinary. There must be a lot of stress that follows it. As headmaster, I want you to succeed and will offer you my help in any way you may need it."

I smiled, "thank you."

"Eliza, you are welcome," he smiled back.

But then his smile vanished, "now as for Noah."

My heart sank into the dreaded pit of my belly, "yesterday afternoon, another attack occurred at the ministry," Dumbledore informed me, "It appears Noah and his father have followers. Thugs we believe are the few that escaped Azkaban last week."

"People escaped Azkaban?" I asked, having been unaware.

"Yes," Dumbledore confirmed, "it was kept out of The Prophet to reduce fear but I'm afraid this won't be kept out."