FORTY-SIX

E L I Z A

Draco and I slipped out of the bathroom like we had just committed murder. Holding hands like some assassin couple. The loud bass of the music vibrated against our chests as we walked down the slim corridor, stepping over a few passed-out bodies and couples kissing. Draco turned his head over his shoulder like he was checking if I was okay. I smiled up at him and he smirked back at me.

When we re-joined the center of the party we were met with a crowd of sweaty bouncing bodies and the music had gotten louder. The atmosphere had become wilder. It was like a scene out of one of those American muggle films at a frat party. Adrian really did throw the greatest parties. But as great as it was, I didn't want to be involved in any of it.

Not unless I was moderately drunk but that mind-blowing sex Draco gave to me had sobered me up entirely.

Like Draco had sensed my uncomfortableness, he turned round to me and said, "Come on," and then he led me outside.

The chill of the night was a relaxing brisk against my skin. The breeze blew my hair back and even with the echo of the party in my ears, I felt peaceful.

"I cannot believe you came here," Draco said as he settled down on a chair at the front of the balcony.

I breathed in a heavy breath and sat down beside him, "I know it's risky. . . and my parents would kill me if they knew I wasn't at home right now but. . . I couldn't be in that house any longer. And I won't let Noah control my life."

Draco looked at me, really looked at me through narrowed eyes and then said, "Noah is unpredictable. He could be anywhere. He seems to be everywhere. Listening and watching all the fucking time and I can't stand the thought of you being alone right now."

"I'll be fine, Draco," I promised him but it felt awfully like empty words I wanted to hold on to. It was hope.

Draco looked at me like he didn't believe me so I reached over to him, my hand upon his and squeezed gently, "We will figure this out."

He nodded his head and I have never seen him look so worried and scared, "I will do everything I can do to put an end to all of this. The ministry is already working on this and hopefully all we'll have to do is watch," he assured me, "although I would like to put an end to Noah myself—"

But we are just kids. We are far too young to be dealing with this chaos. It almost feels like my life is slipping through my fingertips and there is nothing I can do but watch it slip.

"I love you, Draco," I told him because I wasn't sure if I would be able to say it later or tomorrow which was a darkening and destructive thought to have.

And like Draco could see the darkness in my eyes he held my hand tighter, "I love you too."

~

Draco led me back through the party, leading the way and gripping my hand behind his back. He was like my personal safety net and I wanted to be wrapped up in it forever. He shoved drunk muggles out of the way and they would curse at him or throw up a sloppy middle finger. I couldn't help but chuckle.

We reached Adrian's driveway and it was much more relaxing outside than in. Through the windows, I could see the party still wild and active and I could hear the music blaring.