TWENTY-FIVE

Eliza's pov

My eyes ached with exhaustion from a sleepless night. Fear kept me awake, kept me locked up in a cage with nothing but my endless thoughts. Why is he doing this? Why is he watching me? Why me? And most of all, who the bloody hell is he? The question was burning in my head but deep down, I knew who he was.

At least I had a very strong feeling. I just didn't want to admit it to myself.

He not only threatened me but my friends also and I think I care about them more than me. The guilt I would feel if something happened to any of them. Anyone for that matter. So as the sun started to peek through the curtains and Daphne groaned, waking up from her slumber, I decided that I will keep quiet.

Allow the darkness to eat me up whole and keep  me quiet. It should be easy, I've had to do it all my life.

~

During breakfast, I was shaking with anxiety, although I hid it well. Everyone around me was laughing away and drowning in conversations, but I was growing inside my head. Everything else was an echo in my ears. I made myself look like I was simply too busy eating but really, every bite was forced. It took every inch of strength I had to bite into my toast and then swallow it.

My leg shook under the table, like the tail of a rattlesnake, and just like a snake getting ready to pounce, I was readying to leave this deafening great hall.

But I knew I had to remain seated to keep everyone's attention away from me. If they don't ask questions then I don't need to lie to them.

I adverted my eyes up to Draco who was sitting in front of me, enjoying an apple while listening to Blaise talk about something. He must have felt my eyes on him because he looked up at me the second my lingering eyes landed on him. His lip curled up into a grin and I forced my own lips to smile too.

Oh, how badly I wanted to cry into his shoulder and beg for his protection. To tell him everything and tell him now afraid I am. Draco makes me feel safe, like when his arm is around me, it feels like nothing and nobody could hurt me. Like the world could be on fire but I would be untouchable if he was by my side.

Truth is, I've never really felt safe but when Draco and I got close, I finally learned what it's like to feel so secure and safe.

But right now, even with Draco in front of me and with a smile on my face, I feel terrified. I feel like the clocked devil is watching me. Like he is waiting to pounce out at any second. I feel like I know who this devil stalker is but at the same time, I don't, he could be anyone in here.

I want to ask for help, report everything to a professor, and let Dumbledore know that there's a stalker after me. But he has threatened my friends and I don't know what he would do to them. But I'd rather suffer alone and be scared to death than risk them going down with me.

~

Draco held my hand as we left the great hall, It was chaotic and students consumed the hallways. He could be anyone. I held on to Draco for dear life and clung to all of the safety. With every shoulder that barged into my own, my heart skipped a beat and sometimes I even flinched like a scared kitten.

Fear is good sweetheart, it makes you strong. My father voice echoed inside my head and I closed my eyes. Now was not the time to be reminded of his preposterous words.