FORTY

E L I Z A

Christmas is supposed to be a day filled with joy and happiness but I can't help but feel the opposite. Instead of joy, dread swims deep inside my core. And as the sun sets, my nerves worsen. I stand in the foyer of my house, wearing the long black dress I got from Madam Malkins and with my long hair falling down my back, luckily concealing what remains of the burn on my back.

I tried my best to look as put together as possible but I didn't want to go and I'm not entirely sure why. I feel so afraid, so afraid of Noah and when he will next appear. The note has been haunting me and my nightmares, and my lack of sleep is evident in my eyes and make-up did little to conceal the dark marks.

My father readies himself, straightening his suit while my mother, who is wearing a stunning dark green dress, brings over the floo powder and holds the bag to my father. He grabs a small pinch and walks into the arch of the fireplace.

He gives us a small grin, "Malfoy Manor."

What.

Large green flames engulfed my father's frame and he vanished into thin air, leaving dust to rustle where his feet once were.

"Eliza,"

I look over at my mother who is holding the bag to me. I'm too shocked to move, why did I not think to ask where this ball is being held this year?

"Malfoy Manor?" I ask, swallowing the thick lump of dread in my throat.

Mother looked at me bewildered, "Yes. The Malfoys are hosting the ball this year."

I figured Draco would be at the ball but I didn't think it would be held at his house. How can I avoid him in his own home? Not that I want to avoid him but our parents can't find out about us for our own separate reasons. How can I stand at a ball and pretend like he means nothing to me? How can I look him in the eyes and see no inkling of love?

"I'm not feeling too great," I say, my palms sweating, "I feel sick."

And that was not a lie.

"Don't be silly, Eliza," Mother ushered the bag toward me, "your father is waiting for us, let's go."

Knowing I had no choice I pinched a small amount of floo powder and with shaky legs, I made my way into the arch of the fireplace. I looked up at my mother and she nodded her head, smiling gracefully.

I avoided the desperate urge to say anywhere else and said, "Malfoy Manor—"

There was a beat of darkness and then I was standing in a large fireplace, my father standing in front of me. I stepped out and braced myself. It was warm inside the Malfoy Manor but the dark decor made me feel cold. And it smelled like candles and a mixture of Christmas smells, and a hint of Draco—

"I trust you to make a good impression on our family?" my father asked me, "be polite and smile and stay out of trouble."

"Of course, Father," I said quietly, almost like I was afraid Draco could hear us.

A flash of green flames and my mother was stepping out of the fireplace, my father took her by the waist and I took the opportunity to take in my surroundings. Beside us were large doors which echoed a slow tune of piano and violin. Candles flickered on the dark walls and beneath my feet was a long rug. I couldn't help but think how many times Draco walked this hallway and now I am standing on it, almost without invitation.