Chapter 5

Jackie felt his heart drop at those words. "It can't be. . ." he said, trailing off in disbelief.

"Why? Do you know him?" Victoria asked.

"We fought." Jackie explained. "He . . . killed my family."

"Oh, I'm sorry." Veronica said, obviously feeling ashamed.

"Not your fault." Jackie muttered. Augustus Autumn? Enclave? He thought they wouldn't try this. He thought they would leave him the fuck alone! But now he realized he was wrong. He walked back to the table and told everyone the bad news.

"What the bloody hell do you mean the Enclave is here?" Colin asked.

"Exactly what the smoothskin said." Gob replied. "The Enclave must know we're here too."

"And that’s supposed to make us feel better?" Butch intervened.

"Guys just stop arguing!" Officer Gomez yelled. "Arguing about these pricks isn't going to make things better."

"Yeah and sitting around waiting for them to waltz in won't work out either." Butch snapped. "What the hell are we going to do?"

"The only thing we can do right now is find a place to stay." Jackie said. "Then we'll worry about the Enclave." He beckoned for Veronica to come over. "Do you have anything we can use?" he asked her.

Veronica shrugged. "Depends on what it is."

"Weapons, food, clothing, chems." Jackie listed off. "Anything like that?"

Veronica nodded. "Yeah we have those. and since you have those holotags everything is reduced 95% off."

"That much?" Jackie stammered.

"Well, not really, but I really think you should, so there." Veronica said.

Jackie and Butch walked over to the kiosk and bought plenty of food and water, as well as some combat armor and riot shotguns. After saying goodbye to Veronica everyone hopped back into the wagons and headed off.

"So where are we going to?" Amata asked as she kissed Jackie and fed James.

"The Brotherhood said there’s a town called Westside near New Vegas. Its protected by the Caecilian Mafia and they have plenty of housing." Replied Jackie.

"And they have plenty of old buildings so we can start new businesses." Gob added.

"So we basically are building from the ground up?" Amata asked.

"Basically." Jackie replied.

They rode in silence past the 188 trading post and back on the road to the center of the Mojave, unaware of the figure spying on them from a cave far off in the distance....