Chapter 17

Henry leaned over the map again, the leaders of each faction that had joined him crowded around. He stared at where the Legion and Enclave were and didn’t like the results one bit. They had pushed North and had taken Forlorn Hope and Camp Golf, and were pressing a siege at the southern end of Freeside. Towards Goodsprings, they burnt Novac and Primm to the ground. Nipton, under the control by the Yakuza, was being hit by guerilla hit and runs, but they were holding. The Brotherhood at HELIOS ONE were bombarded so bad, Paladin Hardin was killed by a nuclear strike. Lizzy looked over at him.

“We will win this.” She reassured him. “You’ve survived a shot to the head, I’m sure an attack from these goons won’t kill you.”

“It’s not me that I’m worried about, it’s those who have died while we were gone finding our forces.”  Henry said, looking at Lizzy.

There was a firm hand on his shoulder. Henry looked up and saw Jackie with his new cybernetic hand on his shoulder. “The Enclave is all bite no bark, I’ve killed my fair share while I was under the banner of the Brotherhood. We just need to break the alliance between the two and we’d cave them in from the inside.”

“My son is right.” James said. “Augustus Autumn is a pompous man who only cares about himself. He created the image of President Eden to lure in civilians to his cause, and to create more enemies for the Brotherhood.”

“With my experiences with the Enclave,” Elder Lyons said. “If we went in with a aerial attack and flanked them with anything we have, we could catch them in surprise, causing their resolve to crumble.”

“And with the Legion, we need to keep to long range, they can’t get too close or they’ll mow us down.” Boone said. “They can’t last long against snipers.”

Henry chuckled. “I know they can’t. I’ve seen you take out your fair share of those bastards.”

“Contact your air force, The Boomers.” Sarah suggested. “Have them drop bombs from behind. Do you have any snipers?”

“The Caecilian Mafia has the best damn snipers on this side of the west.” Bannano said, and then he sheepishly looked at Boone. “Other than the 1st Recon of course.”

Henry cracked his neck. “This is it, isn’t it? If we don’t fight now, then they’ll gain a foothold in New Vegas and win.”

“Don’t think that way sonny.” Three Dog said. “As long as there are fighters there is hope. Hope that the Good Fight will be won.”

“Good fight?” Henry asked.

“The Good fight. What you and all your people do every day. What those surviving in D.C. do.” Three Dog explained. “They rebuild. Try to make the world the best fucking place it could ever be once again.”

As he scanned over the leaders of each faction, Henry noticed how serious they were. They were willing to die to defeat the two most evil forces of the American Wastes, and they were planning to take as many of the bastards to hell with them. “We can do this. We’ve survived many things, from personal loss to mental trauma. If there’s anybody who could take the Enclave and Legion to their knees, it’s us. Their regime of terror will end now! If we can push them back away from Freeside, we can sweep them to The Fort. Then, we will punish them for every crime they committed. Who will fight with me?”

“I will.” Said everyone at the table.

Henry smiled. “Glad to hear it. Suit up, it’s time for war.”

“This is going to be one hell of a story.” Three Dog said.

*************************************************************************************

FREESIDE

SAME TIME . . .

Lou Manchester, member of The Kings in Freeside, held on to his 10mm submachine gun with sweaty palms as he peered over the ruined building next to Mick and Ralph’s store. Several other King’s members hid behind cover and New Vegas Army men stood in front of the gate, armed with Assault rifles.

Boom.

‘What the fuck was that?’ Lou thought to himself.

Boom.

‘There it is again, where the hell is that-

BOOM.

“Oh shit.” He said out loud as the gate exploded, crushing the New Vegas Army soldiers under ruble.  Legion and Enclave soldiers poured in, spraying bullets and plasma rounds all around. Some hit the Kings members, but the rest were smart enough to keep under cover. Lou peered over as the firing stopped and aimed at the nearest Legion soldier. He pulled the trigger and his target’s head blasted off.

“Up there!” yelled one of the Enclave soldiers. Soon the building Lou used as cover was being bombarded. There were several other cracks! of gunfire and then, silence. Lou dared to peak over his cover and sighed as  his men stood over the corpses of the enemy. He rushed downstairs and walked over to them.

“Nice job boys.” He said. “They didn’t expect that shit anywhere.”

“And I’m glad they didn’t kill you.” Said Pacer, one of The King’s Right hand men. “You’re a damn good soldier.”

“Thanks Pacer.” Lou said. There was another gunshot and one of the gang members fell to the ground. Everyone turned and saw a whole battalion running to the gate.

“Shit. TO THE FORT! FALL BACK!” yelled Pacer as everyone rushed towards the fort of the Followers of the Apocalypse.