Epilogue (III) - Alpha Squad 1

"Tell me what we know." I file through the manila folder that was handed to me when I first arrived. 

"The signal is weak, so we assume she's being held underground." 

"Do you have an exact location?" 

"No. He's got a barrier around it so that the signal keeps bouncing off the towers. We have people trying to crack through it right now and pinpoint the exact location, but we assume it's in this region." 

I eye the screen carefully, rubbing my chin with my hand as I do so. There were several red lines marking the region that they think Lily could be held in, but its such a broad area. The entire triangle spans at least two districts in Seoul, and I have yet to get enough support from the government for them to let me just bulldoze my way through the city to find my daughter. 

I rip my eyes away from the screen towards another agent a few feet away. "Is the scanner ready?" He gives me a thumbs up.

"We have the intervals at 0 to 15." 

"Narrow it down to 4 and 9." The agent's eyes shoot up in surprise. 

"But General, we can only activate the scanner once before it needs to cool for 24 hours. That interval is small, we could miss." 

"But with that wide of an interval, the chance of the scanner picking something up is slimmer. Narrow the interval to 4 and 9." I insist. The agent hesitates, but presses a few buttons before giving me a shaky thumbsup. 

"Launch the scanner." The room quiets down as the scanner runs across the section of Seoul we've set it to. I bite my lip as it slowly makes its way through the map, dread filling my chest as it continues to go right. 

"Come on...where are you?" 

Beep...beep

Someone lets out a whoop as the scanner pinpoints a location. I let out a sigh of relief as someone starts barking orders and the sounds of keyboards begin to fill the room. I pat the back of the Sergeant who leads the technology company before turning around to see Jennie in front of the elevator. 

In her hand is a brown bag with my name on it. Her hair is disheveled, and her eyes a sunk from worry and sleep deprivation, but the moment her eyes drift to the beeping red light, her spark returns. Running towards me, she drops the bag on the nearest table. 

"Is that her?" She asks frantically, looking between me and the map. 

I tenderly caress her cheek before pulling her in close. I didn't have to say anything for her to break down into soft sobs. Tenderly running a hand through her hair, I comfort Jennie as she breaks down. 

It's been a week. A whole damn week and we just got Lily's location. Jennie has rarely been speaking to me, and Ella has been staying with Jennie's parents at Jeju Island to get them away. I sent my entire squad of guards as well as anyone who didn't have any important mission to accompany them. 

Jennie's basically shunned me from the house when I told her my plan for Lily, and I've accepted my punishment by working in the agency's HQ located in Seoul every hour of the day. Our tech department is one of the most advanced in Seoul, yet here we are, seven days and we only just got the location now. 

Graves, who just got back from Spain a few days ago, makes his trips between Jennie and I. He doesn't stay long, but he does manage to sneak some of Jennie's homecooked food for me which I very much appreciate. Her cooking brings me back to the good times, the happy times where I would come home and my family would have a normal dinner. 

But of course, that's not what was in store for us. Jennie has her job running her father's company and I have the missions that get assigned to me. My grandfather said that I would only have one mission, which would be protecting Jennie, but even he couldn't deny the slow decrease of success rates since I went on a short hiatus.