Epilogue (V) - Lalisa Manoban

"Graves. You idiot. I'm not going to let you haunt me for the rest of my life. Now wake up." I hiss to the unconscious man in the back of the van. 

"You talking to him like that isn't going to get rid of the bullet hole in his gut." 

"Shut up Roth and keep clearing a path to that hospital." 

I hand White another roll of bandages, which she uses to press into Grave's stomach. My hands are full of his blood, and my undershirt is almost completely coated. Thank god I didn't wear white, Jennie might have killed me...again. 

"How did you arrive so fast?" I ask White as she feels around Graves' head, checking for any signs of head trauma from his fall. 

"Graves gave us a code phrase because he knew you would do something like this." 

"Of course he did." 

"So." She continues. "We got a team outside the door and extra agents. Lily is shaken, but safe. Caine is with her in another car. Graves pushed you out of the way, taking the bullet while you took the fall. Dustin shot the bastard in the head the moment we heard the gunshot. We found you both unconscious and the other man on the ground pleading for his life." 

"How was Lily?" 

"How were you when you first witnessed a death? Now think about how a five-year-old must have felt." 

Was it bad that I knew that feeling all too well? 

Roth drifted to the emergency entrance of the hospital, screaming at the nearby doctors and nurses, who quickly helped White and I get Graves out of the van and onto a gurney. 

"GSW to the abdomen, about an inch away from the belly button," White informs one of the doctors, who was flashing light in front of Graves' eyes. 

"How long has he been unconscious?" One of the nurses asks, feeling for a pulse. 

"Three minutes and twenty seconds. His pulse is faint, but it's there. Do everything you can." 

"We will try our best ma'am, please, wait here while we do everything we can." The doctor swings his arm to a pair of benches located outside some random room. I'm about to protest when White grabs my arm and pulls me away.

"White I nee-" 

"Lisa, you have your daughter. Remember that." She hisses. 

I mentally facepalm myself. Of course, I remember about Lily, but Graves is dying on a gurney. Is it selfish of me to say I wish Lily would suck it up for a few minutes as I checked on the man who saved both of our lives? 

Graves is like a brother to me, and the only agent of his original team to keep contact with me when I broke off. I knew he wouldn't approve of me joining his team again, but we had no choice. The fact that we had to act as if we didn't know each other for the benefit of the team also didn't help. 

"Come on, let's go see Lily." White whispers, leading me out of the hospital. I nod my head in defeat as she leads me outside to the car that took Lily to the hospital. 

She's sitting on Caine's lap, her arms wrapped around Caine's neck. I open the car door, and I'm heartbroken to see her hesitate to reach out to me. Did she think I was a monster too? 

"Lily, honey. I'm here." She looks at Caine, who gives her an encouraging nod. Then she reaches for me and I pick her up, wrapping my body around hers as I re-entered the hospital. White told me that I should have Lily go through a psych eval, and at first, I was reluctant, but now I'm worried she'll no longer trust me.