【31】- I love you

I fiddle with the collar of my suit that I'm wearing. It's not the standard suit security is supposed to wear, but I think I look nice in it, and I hope Jennie does too. I have Nyx hidden in my waistband and a box in my hand. I'm supposed to drive Jennie to the venue in twenty minutes, but before we get there I want to give her my birthday gift.

I make my way to her room, where her hair and makeup specialist is. I knock on the door, and Jennie opens it. I try my best to keep myself together. Her hair is in gentle curls and her makeup is light. There's light eyeshadow on her eyes that will pop out more when she's in her dress, but she looks stunning.

"Lisa? Don't we still have a few minutes before we have to leave?" She looks at her phone confused.

"We do, I just wanted to give you something." I pull out the small box covered in velvet.

"Lisa-" She covers her hand over her mouth as I open the box to reveal a golden locket. It's small enough so that it can easily be tucked into a shirt but large enough so that people can see it and so that it needs a key. She traces her hand over the locket, picking it up and she sees the keyhole.

"I will always protect you, Jennie," I say softly, as I take the locket gently and unlock it with the small key in my back pocket. I open the locket, and inside is Jennie's name carved.

"It's beautiful." She whispers as she touches the inside of the locket.

"Turn around, I'll put it on you." She turns around as I clip the necklace around her neck, letting it hang in the middle of her chest. She turns back around as I close and lock the locket. I finally plant a kiss on the top of her head. "You better get ready, we need to leave in 15 minutes. You look beautiful by the way."

She gives me a gummy smile as she goes back into her room to finish her makeup. I go back to my room to find my dagger to hide my new treasure.

I unscrew the pommel of the handle. A tightly bound piece of paper falls out of the hallow hole inside the dagger. I carefully wrap the small key inside the paper and put the bundle back into the dagger, before screwing the pommel back on. I then go to find Graves.

"Graves" I hand him my dagger in its sheath. He doesn't question it as he straps the sheath to his leg under his dress pants. I then give him Nyx from my holster. He eyes me suspiciously as he takes it and slips it into his own holster. I give him a smile as I go back upstairs to get a change of clothes. I'll be heading to the dropoff point right after the party, and if things go how I plan it to go, I want to be in something comfortable. I grab a pair of leggings as well as my black t-shirt and a leather jacket. I slip a replica of Nyx into my holster before I head downstairs to the cars. I look at the sky as the winter winds hit me. This could either be the best, or the worst decision of my life.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I take my position in the corner of the ballroom, eyeing everyone to make sure no one tries anything suspicious. Every few minutes I do a lap around the ballroom. Jennie should make her entrance soon, so this will be the last lap I do before I go back to my corner.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, if I could have your attention directed to the entrance." A spotlight is placed on the entrance where Jennie will come out. Everyone quickly follows the light and focuses their attention on the stairs.

"Please, join me in welcoming the birthday girl with her father. Everyone, please give a big hand to Miss. Jennie Kim!" Everyone applauds as the doors open to reveal Jennie and her father at the top of the stairs. Everyone claps as Jennie and her father embrace before making their way down the stairs.

Jennie is in a maroon ball grown, with some silver detailing that wraps around the bodice portion of the dress. Her hair is slightly curled and it gives her more of a princess vibe. She slowly makes her way down the stairs as people part for her entrance to the ballroom. The first dance is the traditional father-daughter dance. I don't pay any attention to it as I continue to scan the room. People soon start clapping as the music's volume makes way for the announcer's voice.