chapter 3

The heir to an empire

I look up to see none other than Edmund

I look up to see none other than Edmund. I smile at him and look at his hand my journal.

"Yea after you rushed off this morning, you kind of dropped this." He hands me the journal and I take it back with joy.

"Thank you very much, I got worried when I couldn't find it in the hallway." He throws me a small smile.

"Oh it's nothing trust me, I wanted to make sure it didn't get into the wrong hands." I grin, that's really sweet. We stand there for a while just staring at each other until Lily clears her throat.

"Sorry um," my mind totally blanks, "Lily, this is Edmund. Edmund, this is Lily." They both shake hands and greet each other with a curt 'hello.' Lily steps back and looks at me devilishly.

"Well it's almost lunch, I should head over to the great hall if we want decent seats. Want me to save you one?" She asks, save me one?  Confused, I nod my head and she smiles and starts to walk away, "Bye, it was nice to meet you Edmund." She walks off and I follow her with my eyes as she does. My head snaps back to him and he smiles.

"I'm sorry about running into this morning, I need to start paying attention." He says rubbing the back of his head. I notice the dark blue lining of his robes Ravenclaw hm?

"Don't beat yourself up about it, I shouldn't have been staring at the floor. Kinda lost in thought." I say turning dark red this was awkward.

"I do really feel bad," He lightly hits his face and chuckles, " I'm repeating myself aren't I?" I throw him and light smile and nod. We both start laughing. "Wow, first day and i'm already embarrassing myself in front of a pretty girl." My cheeks grow a hot red and my palms get sweaty pretty? me? I chuckle.

"Trust me, i've seen worst displays of awkwardness before yours, doesn't even make it on the list." He smiles. I smile. It's natural, not forced. I hear the clock strike out for the last time meaning lunch was going to start.

"Do you wanna head down to the great hall?" I ask.

"Sure." He says. We walk side by side in a comfortable silence for most of the way. I smell something very sugary sweet but play it off to just be something in his bag.

"So Vera, you're in fourth year just like James right?"

"Yea and your in?"

"Fifth." He responds fast.

"Got it. And by your robes i'm assuming i'm speaking to a fifth year Ravenclaw named Edmund." I say somewhat sarcastically. He turns and looks at me with an approving nod.

"Very right indeed you are." He sticks his hand as if to shake it. "Hi, i'm Edmund Lancaster and you are?"

"Vera," I say reaching my hand out to shake his, "Reynolds." We shake hands hold on for a little too long.