chapter 34

Darling, I'm home

I slowly turn around to find the voice of the screeching person to be James rushing toward me

"I missed you!" He said as he embraces me in a big hug. I put down my trunk and pat his back.

"Yea, ok James." I say as he lets me go.

"Here, let me help you." He says as he grabs my trunk and helps me put it inside the house. It was already late at night, but I was still so full of energy.

"Thanks." I say with a smile as we both just awkwardly stand there.

"Mum's upstairs and dad's not home from work yet but we can have dinner together if you want." He says with a smile.

"Oh um, maybe. I'm going to put my trunk away upstairs." I say with a small grin and I rush as quickly as I can pulling the thing up the long flight of stairs.

I enter my room to find everything the way it was last time. My room walls were a deep turquoise blue with a leafy wallpaper, purple curtains and terrace that just over looked the back yard.

My room overall was pretty empty, considering I just didn't feel like decorating it. I set my trunk at the foot of my bed as sit myself down on it. What am I going to do for the rest of the time? I know I can't stay shut up in my room for a month, but I can sure as hell try.

I walked out to the small terrace and sat down on the small coffee table chairs. Ironically, there were two chairs but only one person ever resided there.

I sat quietly as I looked beyond to the wooded area I had ran off too years before. Occasionally, you may see a wild, non-magical, animal going about. Usually it was just James playing Quidditch loudly.

A loud knock comes from my door as Euphemia walks in.

"Hiya darling!" She says walking in a giving me a hug, "I feel like it's been so long! How are things?" She asks me.

"They're good." I say bluntly. I was really not in any mood to talk to anyone right now.

"That's great. Well, your father isn't home right now but our house elf just made dinner if you want to come down. He made your favorite, roast turkey!" She gushes.

I honestly would have turned down the offer fast but,  roast turkey takes a long time to make. I smile at her and nod my head.

"Sure, that sounds great." I add before getting up and follow her out of my room.

The Potters had a long dinner table used for whenever they had guests over. For when it was just three people, it made the whole room seem scary.

"Vera!" James says excitedly walking over to hug me. I stiffen under his embrace as he pulls back, "Look, turkey!" He says as he points to the table. A whole feast was prepared. Turkey, gravy, mash potatoes, squash and a lot more.

"Wow, this is a lot. Is it just us?" I ask. This could feed a whole dinner party.

"Yes, Jamsie works up quite the appetite." She says with a smile as she looks over at James who is already stuffing his mouth.

"What?" He asks looking up at us with his mouth full. I stifle out a small laugh as he smiles at me. "I know, I know I'm funny." He says proudly. I roll my eyes as I start to grab the food of their respected trays.

"So Vera, what'd you do this summer?" Euphemia asks me.

"Just saw some friends." I add bluntly, avoiding eye contact.

"Oh really, that sounds delightful! Which friends?"

"Just some of my brothers Ilvermorny friends and Remus."

"Remus? He's fun. Haven't seen him here in a while, are you going to see him anytime soon James?" Euphemia asks.

"Maybe, he may come soon."

"Excellent. Invite all your friends darling, I want you to have the most profound summer. That goes for you two Vera." She adds with a smile.

"Oh actually-."

"Only my friends know about her being my sister." James says, cutting me off mid sentence.

"Oh yes, I had almost forgotten." She says. "No matter, you can certainly have fun with James here. Maybe you two can play Quidditch, James has a few extra brooms." She suggest with a shrug.

"That might be fun Vera, what do you say?" Everyone knew that unless you were extremely skilled at Quidditch, you never play one on one with James.

"Oh I don't know, I'm kind of scared of heights now." I add stuffing more food into my mouth.

"Oh well that's too bad. I'm sure you two will find something fun to do." She says with a smile. The front door swings open to reveal Fleamont.

"Ah my darlings!" He says putting his briefcase down. My palms started to sweat as he made his way closer to me. "Vera! You've grown so much!" He exclaims. No, no I haven't grown actually.

"Hi Fleamont." I say with a small wave. Considering I've known him for over 5 years now, I never saw him. I didn't come here on any holiday breaks and when I was here, he was always working.

"Oh Vera, I've told you to call me dad or Monty at least." He says sitting down at the table.

"Ok." I say back.

"Everyone have a good day?" He asks. Everyone sends a round of nods in agreement. "Vera? What'd you do today?" He asks.

"Oh um, it was actually just morning over in Oregon so I only woke up a few hours ago."

"Oh so you must be wide awake, I just got this wonderful muggle television we can have a movie night!" He exclaims. I really didn't want to be an asshole, but absolutely could not sit and watch a movie with them for 2 hours.

"Actually, I'm going to go to bed. I should probably get my body used to the time difference." It was already pretty late in England and I didn't feel like staying awake around them any longer.

"Oh ok, maybe another time then. Have a good rest." He says. I stand up from my chair and start to walk off.

"Bye." I quickly add before rushing up to my room.

I slam the door shut and let out a muffled scream. Being around them just made me so infuriated. I hate being around the family Fleamont chose me over because it made me for so odd.

No matter how hard they tried to stick me in their shenanigans, I was like that random puzzle piece that was left over after the puzzle was all solved. I just didn't belong.

I grab the guitar I had gotten for my birthday and sit myself down on the terrace. I play the same song I had played when I had my date with Edmund, 'Blackbird' by The Beatles. I liked its quietly melody, it was calming.

I start to hold the guitar at a different angle, more specifically, the guitar strap that Sirius had gifted me for Christmas. I felt a sort of engraving so I quickly took the strap off my shoulders to better inspect it in the moonlight, 'always play from the heart, it's what you do best.' That's all that was no there initials, no weird cocky comment, no nothing. Something actually sweet and sincere coming from him for once. Odd.

I place the guitar on the floor as I waddle to my bed. My best bet, was to sleep really early to avoid James trying to spend time with me and then wake up early to avoid Euphemia and her breakfast antics.

I better buckle up because this is going to be one hell of a ride.

AN// sorry this is just a filler i have no energy to write a super long one right now but i promise more juicy juice will come soon don't fret loves. i love y'all so keep commenting and voting!- Ren