Eight

Elliot hopped off of his horse and tied him to the post before going to find Dimitri. His friend was not in his house so he was directed to check the stables. Sure enough, Dimitri was with his horse, Coltyn, brushing him.
"Dimitri." Elliot called, getting his attention.
"Elliot." He stopped what he was doing and turned as Elliot approached. "Any word on Charlize?"

"Archibald was the one who helped her get out." Elliot said. He patted Coltyn as he stood beside him.

"I knew it." Dimitri shook his head. "So where has she gone?"

"No idea." Elliot shrugged. "He won't say.
"Why not? Didn't her mother ask?" Dimitri asked, confused.
"She is just brushing all of this off. She thinks Charlize is doing all of this for attention and expecting her return in a few days." Elliot said.
"Does she kn - of course she doesn't know her daughter, but she can't be serious?" Dimitri said in disbelief. Elliot nodded. "Why didn't Archibald tell you where she went?"

"He said that he promised Charlize he would give it some time before he tells anywhere where she is because surely we would all go running as soon as we know." Elliot explained.
"He's right about that." Dimitri sighed. "So what do we do?"
"There is nothing we can do but wait. Archibald promised she's safe and I believe him so we just need to give her the time she wants." Said Elliot. Dimitri nodded, but EIliot could tell something else was on his friends mind by the way he stared out to the rolling fields through the large stable doors. "What's the matter?" He asked. Dimitri's jaw tightened briefly before he faced Elliot again.

"Why do you think she didn't tell us that she was leaving?" Dimitri asked.

"I'm pretty sure you know why she didn't tell you. Were you even speaking to her still?" Elliot asked. Dimitri looked down at his feet and sighed deeply, but said nothing. "What happened with the two of you? I tried to ask Charlize but she didn't me - well she "claimed" she didn't know." Dimitri just shrugged. Although he looked up again, he didn't meet Elliot's gaze. They were both silent. Elliot was waiting for an explanation he had a feeling wasn't going to come.

"Well," Elliot cleared his throat, "you know how she is. She probably would have had a harder time leaving if she told us. Especially if we weren't going with her."

"Would you have gone with her?" Dimitri finally met his gaze again.

"Would you have?" Elliot tried again. He kept his eyes on Dimitri as one eyebrow went up. Dimitri turned back to Coltyn and began brushing again. Elliot chuckled softly to himself and shook his head. "Whatever happened between the two of you, I'm sure she would have still loved the company."

"How long do you think until your mother realizes she's not coming back and the entire estate goes up in flames?" Dimitri asked, keeping his focus on his horse.
"Oh, I think Charlize is going to come back." Elliot said. Dimitri looked at him from over his shoulder.
"Okay, do you know your sister?" He said.
"It may not be to stay, but Charlize is not one to just run away. Once she finds herself, she'll be back to let her mother know." Elliot said. "But I'll give it a week before the estate goes up in flames." They laughed.

"What of Arielle? Do you think she will get word?"
"Even if she does, what is she going to do? She practically detested Charlize." Elliot said.
"True." Dimitri said. "I am worried about how Abbie is going to take it."
"Do you think Charlize told her?" Elliot said.
"If she did, we would have known by now. Abbie can't hold water if it was given to her in a sealed container and secured to her hands." Dimitri said. Elliot laughed.
 "So then I guess it is best that we keep this from her for as long as we can. We don't need news getting out before her mother can create the perfect story."

"We can't have queen mother be the last to share the news. How would that look?" Dimitri said.

"Oh then Charlize will never find a husband. I will never be able to marry and our name will be in tatters for years to come." Elliot added. They laughed.
"How is that going by the way? I was hearing whispers of you and Darcy." Dimitri said.
"There is no me and Darcy. She's nice and all, but I am not interested." Elliot replied.
"Her brother then?" Dimitri asked.
"Handsome, but still no." He said nonchalantly.

"What are you looking for?"
"I am looking for the reason why you and my sister stopped speaking." Elliot said. Dimitri narrowed his eyes at Elliot who laughed.
"I think queen mother is calling you. Better get back before she realized you're here and asks the guards to spray you down." Said Dimitri.

"She does not think that lowly of you." Elliot said.
"Yeah right." Dimitri scoffed. "My parents are actually having a dinner tomorrow night. Would you like to be of attendance? It can help me through the night."

"Of course. If I can bring queen mother?" Elliot joked.
"Only if you are prepared for vases to be thrown because my grandmother will be there." Dimitri said.

"Grandma Montes is in town?" Elliot's eyes widened. "I love her."
"And she loves you."

"I will see you tomorrow evening."