Fifteen

Charlize sat in the sun room reading a book, but mostly imagining life away from her home. Archibald had just told her about a place called Italy and now she wanted to learn everything about it. Realizing she was just following the words with her eyes rather than taking them in, she closed the book with a sigh and stared out into the garden.

She let her mind drift off to the far away place she was trying her best to stay away from. She had been doing that a lot lately. Just wanting to be anywhere but where she was. The emptiness in her chest from her father's passing was still there and she was looking for something to fill it.

It seemed as if everyone else was dealing with it fine. Although it had been a few months, Charlize felt as if she was the only one who made any changes. Her mother and sister seemed to snap back to how they were before. Charlize, on the other hand, had been walking on eggshells. It was all because of her fathers final words to her. Don't ever forget who you are...but try not to give your mother too much trouble. He smiled weakly at her and although she knew he was just teasing, those words resonated with her.

When he was gone, her mother was a mess. Of course she never showed it to the public, but those closest to her knew. Charlize knew. Elizabeth tried hard to keep face and in doing so, her perfectionism hit an all time high. Nothing could be out of place, especially with guests present. To show her support, Charlize had tried hard to be on her best behavior. She had been warned time and time again that she was growing increasingly reckless and needed to change her behavior.

For mother's sake, can you just do something right for ONCE? She doesn't need any more stress.

Arielle had warned her one day they were attending an event being held by an old family friend. It was the first time they were going anywhere as a family without their father. His words jumped to the forefront of her mind. She never understood her mother and sister's obsession with being so perfect and following everything by the book, but she cared about her family. And her family cared about status. This meant Charlize would do whatever she could to make sure her mother did not come apart at the seams. Her mother never had a hair out of place so seeing her even close to being off-kilter after her father's death frightened her.

Even though she wished her mother would loosen up some, that was not who Elizabeth was. If she did, that just meant something was truly wrong and whatever change would happen would not be one of the benefit to anyone.

"Ms. Charlize," Archibald's voice pulled her from the clouds, "you have a visitor." Her head snapped quickly to see who had arrived. Dimitri was standing beside Archibald with a cheerful grin that made her smile.
"Thank you Archibald." Charlize stood, facing them. Archibald bowed and turned to leave.

"Reading?" Dimitri asked, noticing the book she set down.
"Not particularly." Charlize said.
"What is on your mind today?" He asked.
"Italy." She replied.
"Ah, Archie told you one of his stories did he?"

"I just wonder how he had so much time to travel while he was here caring for me." She said.

"Maybe it was before." Dimitri said. "And you said yourself that Julissa did most of the caring anyway."

"Yes, that is true." Charlize sat back down with a sigh. Dimitri sat across from her. "How has your day been?"

"Uneventful. Which is why I am here." He said.

"Wow, use me for your boredom." She teased. He chuckled.
"Not at all. I just have not been here in some time. It's good to see your smiling face." He said. If only he knew what was truly on her mind moments before he walked in.

"Tell, me. Aren't you supposed to be taking fencing lessons right about now?"
"Aren't you supposed to be taking your ballroom lessons right about now?" He shot back.
"You are off by an hour." She said.

"Well if you must know, I did not feel for fencing today so I rode over with Coltyn."

"I have an idea." Charlize hopped to her feet. She hadn't felt like herself in a long time. She needed a distraction.
"Oh no. What are you up to?" He asked, intrigued.
"Come with me." She held her dress as she began skipping off toward the Chataeu styled home. Dimitri quickly hopped up and followed. They hurried through the halls, greeting the servants and other workers as they passed by. They both stopped abruptly when Arielle crossed their path. As always, she had her back straight and her head high with her hands folded. Her friends, who acted as her "ladies-in-waiting" were close behind her. Lola and Edith. They were just as prude as Arielle was.
"And where are you running off to?" Arielle asked. She gave Dimitri a once over.
"Arielle. Ladies." He bowed. Lola giggled but stopped abruptly when Arielle glared at her.
"What are you doing here?" Arielle asked, her eyes narrowed at him.
"He was just leaving." Charlize said quickly, but calmly. She knew the sirens were blaring in her sister's head. 

"But why is he here? And without an escort?" Arielle said.
"With all due respect, I do not need an escort." Dimitri said with a chuckle.

"I meant her." Arielle said. "A proper lady cannot be left alone with a man without an escort."
"As I told him which is why he is leaving." Charlize said. She ignored the glance she caught from Dimitri from the corner of her eye. "Almost as if he was not here."

"That still does not answer my question as to why he is here in the first place, but never mind." Arielle said with a sigh. "We have our lessons soon so he should be going." She turned and walked away with Edith and Lola following quickly behind her.

"That's what I said." Charlize mumbled through gritted teeth. She let out a heavy sigh as her sister disappeared around the corner.
"Shall we?" Dimitri said. Charlize froze for a moment. Her chest tightening.
"I should probably prepare for my lessons." She said, not looking at him and twirling the blue gem around her finger.
"Are you really going to let Arielle tell you what to do?" He stepped into her field of vision but she still avoided his gaze.
"She's going to go tell my mother." Charlize said.
"And?"
"She...she doesn't need that right now." She replied. "Plus, she'll say I cannot ride Prince anymore."

"When has that ever stopped you?" He challenged. 
"Dimitri, things have not been the same since my father died and you know that." Charlize reminded. "She is more strict and does not get over it."

"Charlize." Dimitri tried.
"Another time." She gave him a weak smile then walked around him, hurrying away.