Epilogue

Six Months Later

Once again surrounded by vaguely familiar faces, Charlize sighed and took a long sip of her drink. She was never a big fan of the parties but learned to grow content with them. It was Henry's birthday and of course Elizabeth had to put something together. Charlize couldn't help to roll her eyes at the thought. Her mother constantly searched for any reason she could conjure to throw a party and show off. Attention was never something she would get tired of. Unless, it wasn't anything she could be proud of. Like Charlize's disappearance. She smiled again at what happened just eight months ago. It was a much needed time for her that she enjoyed immensely, but now just a treasured memory. She still kept in touch with Stanley and his parents and promised to visit again one day, but her current focus was becoming re-settled where she felt she belonged.

After ending things with Gabriel and quitting her job, Charlize was ready for yet another change. She was not ready to go home just yet, but knew she couldn't stay in New York for much longer. She called Archibald and he helped her over the next month to do what she had been dreaming of and travel. She believed she had gotten the hang of being on her own and wanted to see more before she decided that being home was what she really wanted. She traveled to several new places and did some exploring. The time alone also gave her time to think and consider. She was no longer just trying to run away from home, but instead was using the time to get back to who she was. With every new place she went, home was still on her heart. But after some time, it wasn't accompanied by a painful aching. She didn't think of the hurt she experienced but more of what she wanted to do. It was time to face her mother. Face her sister. And come to terms with what she had with Dimitri. Once she found her determination, she was ready to return. So, she did. She was ready for a new start and she spent the past six months doing so.

"Oh my." A voice said. Charlize refocused to see a gentleman in a stark white uniform approaching. She stopped herself from laughing. "It has been a long time Ms. Beaumont." He bowed, taking her hand in his and planting a kiss.
"Yes it has...remind me of your name again?" She said.
"Admiral Charles Greyton."

"Ah, yes. Admiral."

"I'm glad you remember me." He said with a smile.

"Vaguely." She shrugged and took a sip.

"I heard you've had quite the adventure since you ran off on me."

"Oh, is that what you think I did?" She scoffed.

"I'm willing to forgive you if you give me that dance you promised?" He smiled slyly. Charlize couldn't hold it back any longer and broke out in laughter that sent confusion all over his face.
"I did not want to dance with you then and I absolutely do not want to dance with you now." She said.

"That-."
"You are quite full of yourself, you know that? I mean, you truly think you are the best thing in this room but the only reason I remember you is because of that unnecessarily and obscenely bright uniform." She continued. "And how are you even an admiral? You seem quite young to be honest. What have you commanded? You don't look like you have been in a battle a day of your life and you want people to believe you're an admiral? Of what?" Charles opened his mouth but was lost for words. "That's what I thought." She looked over his shoulder and smiled. "If you will excuse me, my boyfriend is waiting for me." She happily brushed past him to go meet Dimitri. She glared at him as she approached. "You are late."

"I am truly sorry my dear. I had to take care of a few things first." He kissed her hand.
"Like what?" She asked.
"You'll find out soon enough." He replied with a wink. She rolled her eyes at him. "Has Elliot arrived?"

"Not yet. He and his wife should be on their way."

"So you've been here alone?"

"Yes, waiting for you." She playfully slapped his chest.
"I won't keep you waiting again."

"You better not." She warned.

"Ah, Dimitri, you've finally arrived." Henry said, taking their attention. They turned to greet him and Elizabeth. Although both Elizabeth and Arielle apologized and they each had a long talk with her, Charlize continued to keep her distance. She still hadn't found it within her to completely forgive and move on. Every now and again Henry would make attempts to bring them together, but he never forced it. Charlize would spend most of her days at Archibald's home or with Dimitri. She did hope that one day they would be on better terms, but for now, Charlize was cautious.

"Thank you for coming." Elizabeth said.

"Of course, wouldn't miss it." Dimitri said with a small smile.

"Charlize, since Arielle is going to be around, I was thinking we could find time to have tea. And chat?" Elizabeth asked, hopeful. Charlize had to give Elizabeth credit for consistently making efforts. Sometimes Charlize would decline, but others she would accept, especially when others were involved. This time, she had to take a moment to think it over since it would be only her, Arielle, and their mother.
"Um, sure." She said finally. Elizabeth looked relieved.

"Great. I will put it together." She smiled. Charlize gave her a polite nod.
"I want to dance." She said looking up at Dimitri with a grin before turning back to Henry and Elizabeth. "Excuse us." She took Dimitri by the hand and led him away.

"I'm proud of you." He said once they settled in a spot, arms around each other.
"It's going to take time." She said with a sigh.

"But you're making an effort." He kissed her on the forehead. "I love you." She smiled up at him.

"I love you too."

Note:

Hi! I know the ending was a bit rushed but I have been sitting on this story for too long, I forgot exactly where I wanted it to go and how I wanted it to end, but needed to reach a conclusion somehow. It's been dragged out long enough. Anyway, if you made it this far, I know it kind of fell off but I truly appreciate you reading and hoped you enjoyed it!