chapter 1

••••

••••

Unedited.

"You can never escape from my clutches."
.

.

I gasped out of breath as my eyes shot open and sweat started trickling down my forehead. I jolted up and slowly brought my shivering hands close to my ears with the hope to put a halt to that sinister voice.

After calming down myself a little, I gulped some water and again laid down on my bed in an attempt to get some sleep but I guess, today would also be another sleepless night for me.

Shaking my head, I stood up from my bed and went out of my room to my mom's room to seek some comfort.

But seeing her sleeping so peacefully, I didn't have the heart to bother her at this time. So closing her door slowly, I went to the small study in our medium-sized house and shut its door behind me.

Grabbing a chair, I placed it in front of a desk before settling myself on it. I stretched my hand to open a small latch of the downside corner drawer of that table and took a big album out of it.

Placing it on the table, I willed myself to open it as my eyes greeted with a sight of a happy couple. I softly ran my hand on those photos and my eyes welled up with the unshed tears.

Those were the photos of my parents from the early stages of their marriage to my mom's baby shower. They seemed to be so happy in every photo as their eyes were brimming with joy.

As I skimmed through them to the end, there were only photos of a woman and a small girl. Though that little girl was looking so happy in every pic, her mom's eyes had lost the glow as she appeared lifeless in each one of those pics.

Of course, I could understand her plight very well. Who would look happy when the person who was more important to her than her life was snatched brutally away from her but still she stayed strong just for my sake and tried her best to fill the void of my dad's place in my life.

Though it sounded somewhat selfish and cruel, no one could ever replace a place of a dad's position in anyone's life. The same was the case with me. Though she never let me feel his absence, I would always miss his presence at every point of my life.

Whenever I achieved something, I always wanted to share that news with him before anyone. Whenever I felt like giving up, I always wanted him to be beside me and wanted to assure me that everything was going to be fine. Whenever I would fall, I wanted him to be there to pick me up. Whenever this world would be cruel to me, I wanted him to protect me in his safe embrace.

Alas, all of them seemed to be faraway dreams for me. To be honest, I never experienced a father's love and I never knew how it was to have a father. I never knew how it felt to be protected and pampered by him.