chapter 2

••••

Unedited.

When I was almost done with my breakfast, she said, "Go back to the girls. I am going to Bangalore as a guest faculty for one of the universities there."

After hearing her, I stopped what I was doing and looked at her.

"Ma. You know it is too much..right! Why are you stressing yourself so much? Please stop making me worry about you all the time. I am not at all against the idea of fulfilling your dreams but in that process, you shouldn't forget about your health. You can work here if that what makes you happy but stop traveling from one place to another now and then. You aren't a young lady who is brimming with full vigor." I told her before walking towards the kitchen to wash my plate.

"What do you mean by " not a young lady who is brimming with full vigor"? I'm just in my fifties. It is not at all considered as old. Hmph. Remember this, teaching is my passion and I love spreading knowledge. So don't you dare to stop me from doing so."

I heard her loud voice from the dining room as I dabbed my hands with the cloth once I was done washing my plate and walked up to my mom.

"Who is stopping you from doing it? I am just asking you to stop running everywhere in the name of those lectures." I told her while picking up my bag.

"Whatever!! As much as I like teaching, I love doing some other thing too? Wanna know them?" She asked me like an excited kid.

"As if you won't say it once I asked you not to," I mumbled in an audible tone and she shot me a glare.

"Get married soon and give me some..no no... At least a single grandchild. Then I will stop working and will spend my entire time looking after him while you and my son-in-law busy yourselves with making a sibling for him. Nice plan..right?" She asked me in a proud tone as if she found a perfect  solution to the most difficult problem in my life.

I shook my head at her helplessly as I was quite used to her, bringing up that marriage topic directly or indirectly at every given chance.

"You want a grandchild? Then I will adopt a baby..happy?" I asked her in a challenging tone.

"Adopt?" She frowned at me initially but again smiled at me before saying, "okay. Do it. At least my life won't be this boring."

She agreed to it immediately, making me look at her skeptically as I knew she wouldn't agree to even a single statement of mine without having a fair amount of argument. But this time she agreed to it just like that, which was quite unbelievable.