chapter 11

Unedited

Unedited.

I was sipping on to my coffee while listening to their banter with a smile on my face. Today, Sudha Aunty again visited my home and coincidentally my mom was home too.

Their conversation started from talking about casual things and it ended with the current topic of talking about their good old days.

"You know, I sulked at him for so long for not bringing me my treats. Blame my mood swings. He tried his best to pacify me but I didn't give in at all because, at that time, I really craved the famous poha of 'Sri Ram chats'. "Mom said with a dazed smile as if she was reliving all those happy moments again.

"Ohh really? I could imagine the poor plight of Pardhu!"

Sudha Aunty waved off with a laugh but stopped when she noticed our gazes on her because from what I had heard from my mom and grandpa, Pardhu was not the name that anyone could use for my dad. Only closed ones would call him with that name.

"What happened?" She asked us with a frown, still not realizing the thing she did as we shook our heads immediately at her after passing each other a glance.

"Okay! What did he do after that? Did he bring it at last or not?" She asked my mom as my mom's smile dimmed a little and she shook her head in denial.

"He never got a chance to do so. He got a call from someone and he seemed to be in a hurry. Though I was sulking, I still waved him goodbye. He kissed my protruding belly and promised me that he would bring it for sure on his way home but-" she took a deep breath and continued.

"But I never knew that would be the last moment between us. On the very day, he met with an accident and struggled between life and death in the hospital for nearly 1.5 months as he was completely comatose.

"I gave birth to yuktha, without him being beside me. You know what was so painful, the day yuktha was born was the same day where he left his last breath. He opened his eyes that day and smiled at his baby girl. He closed his eyes with a smile before muttering the word 'Yuktha'." She teared up while saying so as I nearly choked over my tears.

How could I forget the day, where I had lost my dad, though I was unaware of everything? How could I forget the taunts of some of my dad's side relatives about how I was a bad omen? How could I forget that I would always be reminded of that fact how much ever I wanted to run away from it?

"On which..date-" Sudha Aunty cleared her throat while wiping her tears and continued.

"Exactly, when did he meet with an accident?" She again asked after composing herself while fisting her hands.