(1) One month

Valentina's POV:

It's been a month.

One month...how?

It's been a month since my brothers, father, uncles, grandpa have been kidnapped and held hostage by this piece of shit, Dimitri Ivanov.

Although it feels like just yesterday my brothers, Dad and I were enjoying a movie night the day before they left for Italy for their work. It's also hard to believe only thirty days have passed because the drastic changes around here speak otherwise.

Matteo isn't the same joker brother he used to be. He's become cold and distant. It's hard to see the once joyous boy not talk to anyone except when needed to. The only emotion he relates to these days is anger.

Daniel, on the contrary, has opted for the most emotional approach to handle this situation. He suffers mental breakdown any moment if we discuss our family.

Damon hasn't changed much except he's even more angry than usual nowadays. If he disappears from everyone's sight for more than two hours it's understood that he's venting out on a punching bag.

Deigo's my biggest help around here. He's dealing with this situation in a more healthy way. He and I are always prepared to calm down when Damon and Lucas uncontrollably lash out on someone.

Lucas isn't any better than Damon. And like Matteo he doesn't communicate much except when he absolutely needs to. So far he's got into unnecessary fights with people he most definitely shouldn't mess with.

Marcus has sadly forgotten how to smile or show any emotion. Gone is the boy that would lighten up anyone's day by his childish antics. He now prefers to keep to himself.

My aunts and grandma are trying to stay as strong as they can mostly for for our sake, but they're speedily losing hope as these days pass by. Their health just keeps deteriorating in front of my eyes, thanks to those dark clouds looming over us.

Max. He's still totally unaware of what happened a month ago. We just keep assuring him that our family is gone for a vacation. Sometimes I feel like he can see through our lies us, but he never says anything so I cannot be sure.

He's the only reason my family is still sane I guess. My brothers are calm and mannered when he's around. They never get upset with him and also try to keep up their older selves alive as a facade for Max's sake.

Ben, our hero, is just working all the time. Since none of us kids are trained for Don duties he was compelled to become to interim Don of the American mafia to avoid any disruption in Alessandro's absence.

He also assists aunt Isabella, who's taken over the Italian mafia, as she has no experience regarding Don duties and Ben gives her confidence to manage it all.

We couldn't be more grateful of him.

The Diaz family has proved to be a huge support in this crisis. Ricardo and Louis have handled the responsibility of the Spanish mafia back at their home while Rafael keeps in touch from here in Italy.

Savannah is always present for me whenever needed, but I've noticed her pain and distraught swirling in her eyes for Ales who she would give anything to see. I've lost count of the times she's broken down in my arms releasing her pain through tears.

How am I doing?

Well I've most probably changed the most this month. Infact I cannot even relate to the old Valentina anymore. The one who my family didn't want involved in the mafia business.

I'm a fighter now.

This entire month I've been training tirelessly. Twelve hours a day I'm learning combat fighting, shooting, knife throwing and everything a mafia member is familiar with when it comes to fighting.