The Return

Dionysus and Hephaestus reached the Gates of Olympus, followed by the Elder Kobalos and the Kobaloi. The path forward was littered with debris: splintered wood, shattered stone, and crushed bronze. Animals and creatures emerged from their hideaways. Metal creations stopped their attacks on all living things. The Muses, Lesser Gods, Nymphs, and other Olympian dwellers walked up to the two. Some scowled at The Smiting God while others sighed in relief. A loud yell echoed across the mountain, followed by Hera's throne, crashing in front of Dionysus and Hephaestus.

"Somebody's not happy," the Elder Kobalos said.

"You best keep quiet," Dionysus replied as he noticed the intact throne regaining its composure and follow them.

Hephaestus looked back at the Elder Kobalos, clenching his jaw while his eyes burned with hatred.

Eleven Olympians waited in the Main Hall.

"Where is your brother?" Artemis asked Hestia.

"Matters of Olympus are of little interest to him."

Zeus sat on his throne with Poseidon and Hera standing by his side. They were silent, staring at the Hall's open maple wood doors. Apollo and Athena joined the conversation between Hestia and Artemis. Ares and Aphrodite stood side by side, whispering to each other.

Dionysus marched his way into the Hall, proud and loud. "Here's to my new home!" He waived his hands to the Olympians. "No need to thank me, you're very welcome!"

The silence in the Hall was absolute.

"Please calm down everyone," Dionysus continued. "So here he is. The God of all things forged, creator of mayhem, the one fallen God, Hephaestus!" He bowed as his arms stretched towards the open doors.

The thump from his bronze leg hitting the floor announced his entrance. He felt the stares inspecting every scar on his face, the curiosity towards his leg, the resentment against him. Yet he limped with his head held high, his veins pumping ichor once again. He wore a white, simple robe with a bronze belt out of which a small pouch containing Sinteis crystals hung.

Hera watched her throne walk back to its place besides her. "I threw you away for a reason," she spurned.

"Where do we begin?" The smiting God asked Zeus, as he stopped short of his throne.

"We don't," Zeus answered. "There is no need. Families continue. Endure-"

"There is no absolution without consequences," Hera interrupted.

"He is already paid the consequences," Zeus quickly countered. "Look at him! His pain was greater anyone of us experienced."

"I haven't said I'll be staying," Hephaestus said to the surprise of the Olympians.

"You are truly a repenting son," Hera said.

"Are you defying me again?" Zeus asked. "Last time I got a headache and you lost a leg."

"I have one condition," the Smiting God continued. "He and his kind," he pointed at the Elder Kobalos, "must be expelled from Olympus. They are never to be approached by any Olympian or anyone else under our favor. You want me back? This is my price."

"Why?!" Dionysus and the Elder Kobalos asked as one.

"You and your kind possessed me!" Hephaestus told the Elder Kobalos. "You had the audacity to invade me, an Olympian!"

The Gods muttered among themselves, looking judgmental at the Elder Kobalos. Zeus and Poseidon's eyes met.

"He resisted! You told me," Dionysus pointed at Zeus, "to 'do what I must' to bring him back. So, I did."