Pasiphae

Three open bow, richly decorated vessels docked to the left side of the peninsula that now divided Knossos harbor in two. All with a single mast and six oars on each side. Their stern and stem posts ended in carved nautiluses, the symbol of Colchis.

The Colchian crews were mostly dark-skinned with woolly hair. Dressed in rich linen, some carried wooden, tower shields adorned with bronze plates, and short spears. Once disembarked, they formed in lines, five men wide. The three crews put together totaled 48 plus two passengers. They marched up to a Keiftu who waited for them at the other end of the peninsula.

His name was Rusa, a member of Minos' council. He wore a wool loincloth decorated in yellow, red and blue lines and spirals. A leather sheath hung from the front of his loincloth. Bare chested, he was a man in his prime, lean with broad shoulders over a narrow waist. His oiled black curls swept back onto his waist. "Welcome to Knossos. Please follow me."

The same route Minos once took on top of the giant turtle on the day of the contest, was now witness of the spectacle the Colchian expedition offered. The street lined with Keiftu, all murmuring about the foreigners.

"They look like Egyptians, don't they?" One asked.

"They are darker."

"They look wealthy," another one commented.

"Is she going to look like them?" A woman frowned.

"Not too pretty if that's the case."

The Colchians walked up the main ramp to the plaza above the Palace. They stopped, following Rusa's lead.

Minos emerged, walking up the stairway that led from the throne room to the plaza. He was followed by his council: Arija, Head Priestess; Yidini, newly appointed Head of Labor Relations; Daedalus, the Athenian; Laksmi, Master of the Coin; Siram, Fleet Logistics, and Simura, Keeper of Health and Culture. He was joined by Rusa, Foreign Relations Principal.

The Colchian soldiers made way to an elderly woman, dressed in a simple linen tunic. Her thickly curled, rounded, gray hairdo was striking to the Keiftu, who grumbled while pointing at her. In perfect Egyptian she said, "My name is Chalya, Amah of Pasiphae, sister of Aeëtes, King of the Colchians, ruler of the 18 tribes. We are here for King Minos, ruler of Khaptirus."

Minos smirked as he walked forward. "Welcome to Knossos-"

"We require private rooms and baths, a dedicated kitchen and storage for the goods we brought with us. A small Colchian garrison will remain by our quarters. The rest will house themselves on our ships. It's been a long journey and my lady requires rest."

Minos sighed, pressed his lips and nodded. "Rusa."

He walked up to his king.

"Provide everything they need. Everything."

"Yes, my King."

"Find out when will our guests be receptive to meet us. Do the necessary arrangements."

"Yes, my King."

King Minos turned towards Chalya. "Rusa, will address all your needs. I apologize for the condition of our city. We are recovering from a great calamity. I assure you that Knossos is more than meets the eye, and all your wishes shall be fulfilled."

"Thank you-" Chalya raised an eyebrow as she saw King Minos turn around and leave them behind.

The council followed the King.

Rusa remained. "Follow me to your quarters, please."

#

A cloudless, moonless night topped the large balcony by the south side of the palace. Torches flickered around those present, mainly the council and a few Keiftu of influence. Tables were set with fruits and meats. Servants offered wines to everyone's taste. The guests wore their best clothing and jewelry. Women had their exposed skin, face, chest and arms, painted white and their lips red.