Olive Grove

The Sintian placed a coin on his brother's mouth and burned his body. He prayed every day for his sake. He buried his loneliness in work: rebuilding the house or caring for the olive grove. Yet, out of all the things he'd do, it was the forge that took his mind away. Hammering his thoughts onto metal, casting dreams to reality, with each burning coal he practiced what the Smithing God taught him.

It took Hephaestus long to recover from his burns. Scars over scars hid what was once a godly semblance. It didn't matter to him. He retrieved Apator from the scorched ruin. A four-room house of brick and wood was built. Hephaestus healed the sick olive trees. They bloomed and were full of fruit. There were gardens of herbs and flowers. His donkey enjoyed the company of chickens and goats, while occasionally brayed to everyone's laughter. "My peace," he often called his new life.

From Olympus to Lemnos, everyone forgot about the house by the olive grove. No one – and nothing – ever came or went from it. It was never sought. Lemnians tended to their ships and their dwellings, too preoccupied on their desires and misfortunes, hiding their fears or nurturing their hate.

Ari had the brother she'd never had before. They'd chat, helped each other, laughed and remembered. She knew his sorrow, the same one she still held for her mother. There was no replacing the ones lost.

"Just remember," Hephaestus would tell them. "For every lifetime, you die twice. Once when your heart stops beating. Twice, when the last who remembers you dies."

Ari didn't choose a husband, nor one was forced on her. No questions or requests were ever made. Tears were wiped. Wounds were healed. With no past to return to, she looked ahead with him. Eyes met. Hands touched. Watching from above, the sky blushed while the moon hid behind clouds. Ari was with child.

#

"It's good to lay down," Ari told Hephaestus as they both rested over the grass. "It's been a long day." She picked an olive from a basket that was beside her.

"Long indeed. My foot is killing me!"

Ari chuckled and punched him on the chest. "You know, for a God you can be stupid sometimes. Would you like me to chop it off so you can grow a bronze one to match?"

"Former god, I remind you. No, bronze legs don't 'grow', and I wouldn't survive the casting this time around."

"Come here," She pulled him by the arm and rested her head on his shoulder. "I don't care if you're no longer a god. You'll always be mine." Her fingers caressed the scars on his chest.

"Now who's the stupid one?" He smiled at her while placing his hand on her belly. "How's the little one?"

She scoffed. "Kicking with both legs."

"Are you certain the child is mine? I only have one leg you know."

She yelled at the sky. "I liked you better when you were full of yourself!"

"Sure."

"At least you don't smell like honey anymore. It was odd."

"Godly ichor no longer flows through me."

Ari's brother walked to them carrying four baskets full of olives. "Waduna. Asu werumata kappa."

"I think we should press them tomorrow but are you sure it's a good idea to sell the oil at Poliochne's market?" Ari asked Hephaestus. "We don't need coin."

"It's not the coin. We are out of materials for the forge. We need to buy them. Your brother will go mad if we run out of things for him to do."

"Si," the Sintian nodded.

"I don't like it. It's been long since anyone's seen me. There will be a lot of questions."

Hephaestus smirked. "After everything we've been through, and you are scared of a few questions? We'll be fine."

Ari pressed her lips.

#

Aetos glided high above Olympus. The breeze upon its wings, his infinite vision scanning the shimmering structures below made of ivory and gold, marble and bronze. The eagle screeched, as it sensed Zeus call. It descended in circles around its master.

Below, waiting with his extended arm, Zeus enjoyed watching Aetos flight. Yet out of the corner of his eyes, he saw Bubo, fast approaching his eagle. He grinded his teeth as the metal owl rammed the unsuspecting Aetos onto the floor. He clenched his jaw and scowled at the three feathers off Aetos that were slowly falling to the floor.

Hera looked at the two birds on the floor and laughed at Zeus semblance. "Don't worry, Aetos is not dead." She crossed her legs as her throne waddled towards him.

"Neither is Bubo," Zeus replied as he watched the owl recover. "I'm glad you still find amusement in this chaos."

The clanging and banging of metal against stone was perpetual. The walls and columns were chipped or cracked. Most metal creations were dented or crushed but that didn't stop them from their relentless attacks. Metal does not tire.

Hera said, "To see you feeling some of what you make me go through? I'll gladly sit on this throne for eternity!"

"So you say, but I see you weakening. You can't take much more of this, and frankly neither can I."

Hera looked away, towards the entrance of the Council Hall. She raised her eyebrows when she saw someone peeking through the half-opened doors. "Hermes? Is that you Hermes?"

"Come at once!" Zeus yelled.

"Can't you make those things stop for a little while?"

"Don't complain and come here now!" Hera barked.

A bearded Hermes took a deep breath and ran through the hall. He dodged as many objects as he could. Still, he was hit, bumped and rammed upon several times before he reached the couple.

Lightning flickered around the Gods and all metal things paused, waiting for the flickering to stop.

"Did you find him?" Hera asked.

"No."

Zeus tightly shut his eyes. He angrily closed is hand into a fist and snapped it open. Lightning struck all Hephaestus creations, stunning them to the floor.

"I'm sorry!" Hermes cried. "Like you asked I sought help well beyond our realm. I engaged the Myrmerkes who sent scouting parties across the land and sea. Not one claimed him."

Zeus sighed. "Myrmerkes. You did travel far. They should have found him." His hand stroked his beard. "-and you said they all returned with no accounts of his whereabouts."

"No, I said no one claimed him."

"Hermes," Hera said. "Did all the scout parties returned?"

"All except one."

"And?" Hera's patience was near the end.

Hermes gave her an empty stare.

"Where did the those Myrmerkes go?!" Zeus yelled.

"Lemnos! They went to Lemnos."

"That's where he is!" Hera and Zeus yelled in unison.

"You must go to Lemnos," Hera demanded.

"You don't come back until you bring him back," Zeus ordered.

"No, I'm not going! Have you got any idea of what this task has taken out of me? I am tired, hungry, dirty and stink," Hermes whimpered. "I did my part. Go send someone else to retrieve them."

Hera and Zeus looked at each other in disbelief while watching him leave the hall.

"Dionysus will do it," said Zeus, "for a throne with the twelve."

"Hestia?"

"Your sister is clear in her desire. She wants to leave. You always complained Dionysus hasn't earned his place yet."

Hera remained silent, pensive, while she tried to accommodate herself on the throne that kept her captive. "Very well. Summon him."