Epilogue

A young man ran through the streets of , carrying a package in his arms. He dodged strangers, walking leisurely over the many bridges that crossed the canals circling the city. The locals paid little attention to him as they were busy with the early morning flow of commerce. He had black eyes and hair cut short and curled. He wore a grey loincloth decorated with wavy brown lines. His dark-skinned broad shoulders and muscular torso revealed he was no Keiftu but rather Greek.

"Narutinos! Narutinos, where are you?" He yelled as he rammed open the door of a house.

A middle-aged man with his wife and a young child rushed out of a room. "What is it?"

"Here." He gently handed over what he carried with him.

Narutinos felt the package move and looked up to the young man. He unwrapped the linen and saw it was a newborn. A boy. "What have you done Theseus? Who did you take this child from?"

"No one! I found it by the beach!"

Narutinos handed the newborn to his wife. ", my dear. Please take care of him while I figure this out."

Yiharu looked tenderly at the newborn yet cringed as she smelled him. "He smells like rotten fish! Come, my precious. Let's get you fed and cleaned." She took the newborn and her child out of the house.

"Sit down, Theseus. Let's talk about this."

The young man reluctantly sat on a chair and placed his elbows on his knees, still breathing heavily from his running.

Narutinos' tight waist revealed he was a Keiftu, but unlike those living in Khaptirus, he didn't appear to take much care for his appearance. His receding hair was cut short, he had a beard and wore a green peplos secured at the shoulder with a pin, at the waist with a belt, covering his legs up to his knees. He grabbed another chair and sat, facing Theseus. "Now tell me, from the beginning and slowly. Where did you find this child?"

Theseus sighed. "I was running on the beach, like I do every morning. Suddenly, I saw this giant, bronze snail shell, laying on the sand, by its side. I've got to see this thing up close, I thought. So, I went to it. I touched it, amazed at its craftsmanship, and wondered how it got there. Then I heard crying from inside the shell. I went in and found him. My immediate reaction was to bring it here to you. So here I am."

"Hmm." Narutinos reclined back on his chair and crossed his arms.

Theseus narrowed his eyes and tilted his head. "You don't believe me, do you. Why would I make this story up? Lying goes against what you've taught me."

"Take me to where this snail shell is."

They both left the house and began their trek back to the beach. Narutinos was greeted by numerous Keiftu. Some offered him fruit juices or almonds, just as an excuse to talk with him.

"What did you think about King Minos' decision to marry a Colchian?" One asked.

"Don't you think a Keiftu should be our queen?" A second one opined.

Narutinos stayed away from king matters. He'd rather spend his time teaching his pupils: manly matters of peace and war. Most of his students were of noble or wealthy origin.

On the beach, Theseus hurried as he saw the snail shell was gone. "It was here I tell you! It was here!"

"Calm down, Theseus. Let me think." Narutinos noticed the sand was packed down where Theseus stood. Away from it, two rows of parallel tracks with something heavy being dragged in between led to the sea. He stared at the calm sea. "Hmm."

"Well? Do you believe me?"

"I do," he placed his hand on Theseus shoulder. "Let's go back home."

The walk back was tempered. The young Athenian felt assured while his tutor remained in inner thoughts.

"You surely found a way to make your last day in memorable," said Narutinos.

"I wasn't looking for any excitement."

"I am sure you'll be thrilled to re-unite with your mother, Aethra."

"I am grateful for your hospitality and teachings, Narutinos. But I've been too long. I can't wait to return to Troezen. It may not be Úliat, with all it has to offer, but its home nonetheless."

They arrived at Narutinos home, finding Aethra together with Narutinos' family and the newborn.

"Mother!" Theseus walked briskly and greeted her with a tight hug.

"My boy," she whispered. "Let me see you." She looked at him from head to toe, squeezing his shoulders with her hands. "You've grown strong."

"Two winters is a long time," Theseus complained.

"Not long enough," Narutinos countered.

"I know," Aethra replied to both. "Unfortunately, he's got important things to do in Athens."

"Athens?" Theseus asked.

"I'll explain on our journey back." Aethra went to a table by the side and placed her hand on top of a medium sized wooden box. "Here is the rest of your payment as agreed," she told Narutinos.

"His training is not complete. He will struggle," the Keiftu tutor explained. "But he knows enough. With the help of the Gods, he should fulfill whatever destiny the Fates have in store for him."

"I'm eternally grateful," Aethra said. "Oh, and congratulations on your newborn."

"He's not-"

"Thank you," Narutinos interrupted Yiharu. "It was most unexpected."

Aethra and Theseus said their goodbyes, exiting the house.

"Thank you?" Yiharu raised an eyebrow. Like her husband, her hair was cut short, she wore a peplos that ran from her shoulders to her ankles. Only her visible tight waistline revealed her Keiftu nature. "You didn't find his mother did you."

"He doesn't have one."

"What do you mean he doesn't have one? Every child has a mother?"

"This boy came from the sea."

"He is a son of Poseidon?"

"I don't think so. Poseidon has no need of bronze creatures."

"What are you talking about?" Yiharu wrinkled her forehead.

"Something tells me this boy is important, and the Olympians have brought it to us for reasons beyond our understanding."

"We are keeping him," she pressed her lips while taking a deep breath.

"It is the will of the Gods. Why are you so skeptical anyway? We haven't been blessed with another child in our household," Narutinos said. "What do you say, Japor? Wouldn't you like a little brother?"

Japor nodded with a grin, not leaving his mother's side.

"Will you also accept this son, my dear?"

"How shall we name him?" Yiharu asked.

"Hmm. Theseian. We'll name him Theseian, after Theseus, the one who found him."

Yiharu knelt by Japor and showed the newborn to him. "Meet Theseian, your new brother."