No Pause

King Minos sat on a stone bench by the side of the palace's main plaza. His head was down while his elbows rested on his knees. He listened very carefully to his council's bickering as they argued against him.

"We mustn't delay Knossos' festival," Simura, the keeper of health and culture said while moving her arms in the air at the tune of her irate words. Her flounced green and red skirt danced around her legs as she moved from side to side. "It is our most important festivity. We've held these festivals for generations with very few incidents in between. All who go know the risk.

"I agree with you that we should spend all efforts in the reconstruction of Knossos. Yet, this is not the first time we've risen from the rubble. We've endured and the festival has always been celebrated."

"My King," Arija, the head priestess interjected. "The Keiftu have worked long and hard. Some need to be thankful while others haven't grieved enough. Moments to reflect and pray are needed-"

"A lot of vendors rely on their sales from the festival," Laksmi interrupted as a slight breeze combed her gray hair. "Delaying it may cause their goods to spoil. Others may not have enough coin to last them long."

Minos asked for silence by quietly raising the palm of his hand. He held the bridge of his nose with his fingers and gently rubbed the corner of his eyes. He stood and walked past his council, who followed him like sheep. He looked around the plaza. It was mostly free of structures as most of the balconies and terraces were taken down for reconstruction. "Daedalus," he called.

The Athenian approached him.

"What is the status of the palace reconstruction?"

"We are still cutting stone."

"Hmm." King Minos held his hands around his back. He wore a loosely fitting purple and gold robe.

"My King," Rusa, the foreign affairs counsellor called softly. "If I may suggest. We could hold the festival without the leapers. After all, it is the bull leaping contest that worries you the most."

"Might as well cancel the whole thing!" Laksmi raised her voice. "That is the main reason everyone converges at Knossos." She coughed as her aged voice was not as commanding as it once was.

"Without the leapers there is no festival," Simura agreed.

The Council closed in on him, like the high tide does on a tranquil night.

"They are part of our identity," Arija concluded.

King Minos sighed. "Siram, what do you think?"

"My King," the Fleet Manager crossed his arms. "The boat builders are weary, working nonstop since your command. "They could use some rest and entertainment."

"Yidini," the King called on the beekeeper. "If we were to hold the festival, how would you corral the laborers?"

"All our foremen are laborers themselves. They know the rules and are very motivated to enforce them. The festival will not interrupt the stone cutting at Mount Ida."

The King walked in front of Simura and crossed his arms. "You best impose all safety precautions. Should any tragedy unfold, I will hold you personally responsible," he said with a heavy voice while narrowing his eyes.

"Of course, my King."

"Daedalus," he turned to the Athenian. "You shall remain with the laborers, ensuring the work is done correctly. You are no Keiftu, thus the festival is meaningless to you."

The Athenian nodded.

"Arija, you may inform the leapers they can make their arrangements." Minos raised his eyebrows and smiled as he noticed Pasiphae approach him, along with her Amah and the two Salukis. "Go," he waived his council of. "You all have things to do." He left them behind as he walked briskly towards Pasiphae. "How did this happen?" he asked while looking down at the unleashed dogs.