Giza

"So, why are we sitting here?" Aeëtes' legs shook uncontrollably.

"Because we can," Ahmose answered

"Aeëtes, can't you just appreciate the grandiosity of the view?" Minos asked.

"Listen, it is hot. I'm sweating! Looking at pyramids rising from a wasteland is not my idea of grandiosity. Lastly, the head of this statue is immensely uncomfortable; aside from the fact that I might fall at any moment." Aeëtes shifted his weight from side to side. "I get that we must be as far away as possible from Avaris, but this is ridiculous. So, again, why are sitting here on this head while facing its rear end?"

"Sphinx... It's called the Sphinx..." Ahmose narrowed his eyes as he stared at him.

"It's a stone statue! Half buried in the sand and enormous but made of stone nonetheless!" Aeëtes frowned back.

Ahmose closed his eyes tight and took a deep breath. "Beneath us is where the Old Kingdom rests. No one outside royalty remembers it. But this place is a reminder that something grand once existed. It will rise again. I might not live long enough to see it, but it will. Our bond will give birth to a New Kingdom."

"Ahmose, there is something we must talk about," said.

The young Egyptian's thoughts suddenly stopped; like a horse ending his gallop as it sees the verge of a precipice. He pressed his lips and lowered his head. I need him. "Yes?"

"We live very far away. How will we communicate?"

"Actually, that is a good question!" Minos acknowledged.

"That, is why we are here!"

Ahmose slid down the Sphinx's neck and stood on its back.

Minos hesitant look met Aeëtes'.

"I should have never climbed up here," the Colchian King complained as he followed Ahmose's lead.

Minos joined the two, standing by each other on the Sphinx's back.

The Egyptian bent a knee and almost inaudibly, whispered a prayer.

Minos raised his eyebrows at Aeëtes while he shrugged his shoulders. Then, through the distant silence of the cloudless day, they heard a noise they couldn't identify.

It seemed like a bird, flying around the largest of the Pyramids. It glowed as bright as the pyramid's golden capstone. It bleated.

Ahmose stood up and took a deep breath, smiling.

As it approached the three, they could see a faint, golden trail left behind the flight path of the beast. It was no bird. It was a ram, a golden flying ram. The three approached it as it landed by them on the Sphinx's back. It was as tall as a donkey, bulky and robust looking and it was made entirely out of gold. It was also loud as its bleats almost made their ears hurt.

They approached it.

Ahmose began to pet it. As his hand stroked the beast, it shed glitters of gold which danced in the air.

"You will ride this ram to Colchis. Then you will let it return here. This beast will be my messenger."

Aeëtes approached the magnificent creature and pet it. He looked at his hand and it was dusted with gold. His eyes and smile were wide and full. Shiny gold dust!

Minos looked at Ahmose. "Magnificent."

"Do not worry. There is something for you too. We must return to the river." The young Egyptian said.