Three Sisters

Most Olympians paid little attention to the developments at Knossos. Some of them had more pressing concerns.

Hestia and Hera stood side by side, contemplating the fire from Olympus hearth.

"You should let your hair loose," Hestia said.

"And you should stop wearing that veil," Hera chuckled. "I don't understand why you feel you have to leave us. You are our eldest. Zeus should be humbled by your presence."

"Zeus and I can't see eye to eye. It is best for Olympus if I leave. Besides, you know Zeus would rather have Dionysus sit with the twelve."

"Nonsense. That bastard son of his has done nothing to deserve such privilege. If Zeus insists, we'll add one more throne to the Council Hall."

"Now who's talking nonsense? You know there can only be twelve. Even Olympus has rules."

Hera exhaled.

"I don't want to leave you, sister," Hestia said. "I've become a distraction in your affairs too. Zeus needs your attention."

"If it was up to me it would be him the one leaving Olympus."

Poseidon walked into the hall, drawing the attention of the sisters.

"Well, it's been nearly a lifetime since you last entered this hall," Hera told him. "Probably since you set that spectacle at Khaptirus."

Poseidon nodded to Hestia, who returned the gesture. "It was not for my amusement," he replied to Hera.

"Why did you help that boy, Minos? He wasn't even born a Keiftu."

"The time came to make good on a promise I made long ago."

"A promise to whom?" Hera asked.

"Prometheus."

"You don't have to keep a promise to a Titan! They don't deserve it." Hera furrowed her forehead as her eyes scowled her brother.

"You forget we wouldn't be standing here if it wasn't for him."

"Why would he ask you to make an undeserving, ignorant child, a king?" Hera questioned.

"He foreshadowed that one day such a child would ask for my help. Prometheus saw in this child the awakening of mankind within our realm. But this would not come to be unless I offered my help-"

"And now we have another self-serving child-king." Hera rolled her eyes.

Poseidon scanned the hall. "I was looking for my brother. Do you know where he is?"

"By the zoo with Athena," Hera answered while crossing her arms. "They are preparing a stable for a new beast they are expecting. Something about a winged horse."

Poseidon thanked Hera and nodded Hestia who, again returned the gesture. He left.

Hera lifted the corner of her mouth and narrowed her eyes as she looked at her sister. "You don't see it do you."

"See what?"

"The way Poseidon looked at you. How he nodded you farewell. He didn't say a word to you, yet he showed you respect. And you want to leave?"

"I've made up my mind and told Zeus about it."

"I still don't understand why Poseidon was compelled to make a promise to Prometheus. It was Zeus who asked Prometheus to turn against his kind."

Hestia began to stroll with Hera towards the hall's balcony. "But it was Poseidon who convinced him to join us."

Hera blinked twice as her head turned towards her sister.

"It was Poseidon who persuaded him through this promise he made. Prometheus always knew what his fate would be, that he would not be by mankind's side for long. Thus, when Poseidon volunteered to lend a hand to mankind, Prometheus wielded Hyperion's Bane. The Titans were doomed."

Hera took a deep breath as she looked away, pressing her lips. "That child-king is already a thorn in our side. The defiance and arrogance of his people sometimes seems unquenchable. I lost track of the times we've destroyed their wealth, only to see them sprout like weeds, faster and grander than before. It will take far more than what his Minoans can create for mankind to rise. If they want to flourish, they should go to Egypt or elsewhere. Be someone else's problem."

Hestia saw Demeter, sitting alone on a bench hidden behind a fig tree, contemplating Colchis.

"It's that time isn't it?" Hera asked. "Even though she's back with us, she still grieves." She approached her younger sister and sat by her side. Hestia remained standing by them.

"I hate it," Demeter complained in a soft voice. "I regret Zeus talking me into this arrangement."

"It's not easy letting go of one's child, even if you know she'll come back," Hera assured.

"The worse is that she wants to return to Hades. It is as if she were somehow enchanted by him. Persephone should not spend a moment more in the underworld. She should remain with me, feeling the sun above, and fertile soil between her toes."

"She will always come back to you," Hestia assured.

"She shouldn't have to leave at all! There must be something I could do," she turned to Hera. "What would you do if you were me?"

Hera pressed her lips, raised an eyebrow, and place her hand upon Demeter's shoulder. "There is nothing I wouldn't do for my family. Even if it meant burning this earth to ashes."

"Persephone yearns for Hades," Hestia said.

"She has gotten used to him," Hera added. "That relationship is a routine which could be broken. Given more time away from him, I am sure she would come to her senses."

"What about Hades? He will not let go, much less forget about her," Demeter asked.

"Our brothers are all alike," Hera answered. "Persephone is just a prize to him."

"It's his way of getting back at me," Demeter frowned.

"I wouldn't be so sure about that," Hestia countered.

Hera knelt in front of Demeter and held both her hands. "You're my sister. I would bring back the Titans if your life depended on it. Look into your heart and do what you must. Mother's know what's best for their children."

They both embraced while Hestia looked at them, shaking her head slightly.