Pentheus

"Young Pentheus," Tiresias said, "you've just begun your reign. It is too soon for you to change our ways. You should earn the trust and favor of Thebes before you do these things."

"Dionysus is not a true Olympian. It is Demeter whom we should be worshiping. She has the power to make our lives better. Not this young, 'want to be god'. We continue with this nonsense; we'll be the laughingstock for all of Greece."

"I beg you my King. Listen to me the way your father did for most of his life. You don't want to anger Dionysus. He is more powerful than you think. He is not alone, and his minions will show no mercy."

"Your blindness has spread beyond your eyes, Tiresias. It clouds your council. That staff you hold on to can barely help you walk anymore. You are past your usefulness. Your words no longer influence or persuade. You should go and wait for Thanatos as that day is soon to come for you."

"My King, should you decide to go this way I fear your blood will poison our harvest. Your family-"

"Enough!" He turned away and left Tiresias behind. "I'll bring this matter to the council."

From behind the vines, a low translucent fog wafted delicately in a single tendril. It swirled besides Tiresias, morphing into a Kobalos. Of short stature, about the size of a child, its skin was covered in emerald green moss. His appearance was that of an old man, with pointed ears and a permanent frown. "Why do men fear not the unknown? Is it because they do not know?"

"Pentheus holds no evil intent. He is just, unwise."

A single grape vine moved and morphed into Dionysus. He was young, his face clean of hair. His body was the color of oil, his eyes purple as grapes and his hair was like vines intertwined with each other. "You did warn him."

"He is young."

"That's no excuse," the God replied while he began to play with Tiresias gray, thinned hair. "He had proper bringing. Old one," he called on the Kobalos. "Get a few Kobaloi. Pentheus' kin. Go fetch all of them. Do what you do, but gently."

"You want us to hold back?" The elder Kobaloi asked.

"Just drive them a little mad. It is Pentheus who I want in the end."

"I understand." The Kobalos morphed into the low crawling fog and drifted away.

"As for you, Tiresias," he placed his hand on his shoulder and caressed his back. "Your people will soon need you more than ever. Thanatos will not come for you any time soon." He turned around and morphed back into a vine.

"I wish nobody needed me anymore," Tiresias said.

#

Pentheus mother and two sisters were bathing in a pond surrounded by woods. They were laughing and helping each other with little care of anything else. Two guards stood vigilant, with their backs against them.

Crawling through the trees, six fog tendrils sneaked their way to them. Three reached the women in the pond, while two others went for the guards. They swirled around their heads.

They all tried to swipe the fog away from their faces.

The Kobaloi possessed each of them by entering their bodies through their noses, ears and mouth. The sixth Kobalos, the elder one, materialized to watch.

The two soldiers, screamed in madness, tearing the flesh off their faces with their bare hands. They took their spears and stabbed each other repeatedly, until they were dead.