Lampa

Lampa was an influential inland town west of Knossos. It had access to the southern port of Phoenix, and was a popular place to visit, being the home of Khaptirus' bull leapers. The trek from Knossos to Lampa was nearly a day long on horseback.

Leaving Knossos, Arija and Pasiphae were escorted by a handful of Colchian soldiers. The male saluki trotted side by side with Pasiphae's horse. The Colchian Princess wore a tight-fitting blouse made from the skin of snakes which was cut low exposing her cleavage. Her matching skirt was bell shaped and cut open in the front for easy horseback riding. Her dark skin glowed under the sun.

Leaving Knossos and its harbor, half filled with laborer's vessels, they ventured west. Past the outskirts of the city they met dozens of laborers marching towards Mount Ida, south of Knossos. Dressed in rags and smelling like dried sweat, they looked at Pasiphae with curiosity.

"How much are they paying you?" One laborer asked in Akkadian while his eyes chased her.

"I am not," the Colchian Princess answered as she slowed the horse down to a walk. "They don't have enough gold to buy my favors."

The laborers around the Akkadian chuckled, surprised she knew their tongue. "You lie," the one snapped back. "Everyone gets paid."

"You should use some of your coin to pay for a bath. Not even your mother would dare be near you."

The other Akkadian laborers laughed as he scowled at them.

Pasiphae with her group left the laborers behind.

"You are dressed like a Gorgon," The Head Priestess noted.

"The protectors. Tales of their feats reached beyond our lands. It's a comfortable outfit for riding."

"Most would disagree with you. Medusa and her sisters were monsters that needed slaying."

"A distorted vision spread by Myceneans. They don't tell anyone Medusa and Perseus fought twice. The first time he was soundly defeated. The second time she stopped fighting him, resulting in her death. But that is a whole other story."

Arija looked at the saluki. "Where is the other dog?"

"She is in no condition for this long a journey."

Movement within bushes ahead caught the saluki's attention. His feathered ears lifted, whining as his eyes were locked at the rustling of leaves.

Pasiphae smiled. "Go."

The dog sprinted towards the bushes out of which a hare jumped out of. The Colchian soldiers chuckled and talked amongst themselves, amused by the chase.

"What are they saying?" Arija asked.

"They are guessing and betting on how long before the dog catches the hare."

"Aren't you afraid it might get lost?"

"He needs to run. He'll find his way back to me."

Past mid-day they rested under the shade of Tamarisk trees. The saluki trotted back to Pasiphae, panting with his tongue out. She offered him water.

"How many did he chase?" A soldier asked in Colchian.

"Three," Pasiphae answered.

Some soldiers laughed while others complained, all exchanging the coin from their bets.

Arija, not knowing their tongue, ignored them.

After a while, they mounted and resumed their journey.

"What gods do Colchians pray to?"

"Hmm. That is a difficult question to answer. Our tribes are diverse, and they are free to worship any deities they please."