Olympia

Zeus eagle, Aetos, glided high above a wide valley by the Alfeiós River. His ruby eyes scanned the forested flat land below while scattered clouds strolled to the east. He was not hunting but rather enjoying the wind and the view. He looked towards a clearing and with a high-pitched whistle he descended to his master who was sitting on a boulder. The bird perched on his hand.

Zeus smiled and placed the eagle on his shoulder. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath, exhaling slowly.

"You did leave." A surprised voice said from behind him.

"Hestia, you always know where to find me," he recognized, lifting the corners of his mouth without turning his head towards her.

She petted the eagle who flapped his wings. "Easy Aetos, don't make a mess of Zeus hair."

He chuckled as Aetos flew off once more. "I like this place. It's quiet. I can be here and let my mind be at ease."

"I am sorry to disrupt your solitude."

"You never disrupt me, despite what you might think. I know why you are here. How is Demeter?"

"She's broken," Hestia said as she sat on the grassy ground with her legs crossed. The tree canopies around them sang to the tune of a gentle breeze.

"Nothing ambrosia can't heal."

"Zeus, look at me." Her grave stare locked onto his own smoky blue-gray eyes. "She is broken from inside. She doesn't want to be alone, is constantly muttering to herself, she won't allow anyone to touch her."

"That is why my brother must remain as far away from us as possible. He respects no boundaries," Zeus scowled.

"Brother, it's me you are talking to. I know you fear him just as much as you fear Nyx herself. But this is not about you. We'll be lucky if there is a harvest next season."

A bee interrupted the conversation. Zeus extended his finger and allowed it to land on it. "What did she tell him?" His eyes were set on the insect as it walked on his hand.

"What she knew, that she talked to a man from Lemnos and offered him riches if he were to keep Persephone for a while."

"If that's true then why didn't he know where she was?"

"Because she told the man he could not let Persephone touch land for as long as he kept her captive."

"Hmm. Clever indeed. So, she could be anywhere. Not necessarily in Lemnos." The bee flew off his hand.

"Exactly." Hestia laid back on the ground and stretched while looking at Aetos, circling above them.

Zeus joined her, laying on the ground. His hand brushed the grass that tickled his arms. "He must be there in the Nekromanteion, waiting for someone to make a mistake. Focused on that one instant in which she will manage to call him. Then that fool and those who followed him will be sorry they ever made a deal with a God."

"I don't even think they know they are dealing with gods."

"Foolishness thrives on ignorance. It doesn't matter. I'm sure my brother will do something to rattle the island – to instill fear. That is if he hasn't done so already." He sat up. "We should have them build a city here."

Hestia frowned. "Have who? What are you talking about?"

"Mankind. We should have men build us a city here. To honor all of us, the Olympians." He stood up and helped Hestia do the same.

"What about Demeter?" She asked while tilting her head and raising her eyebrows.

"She'll get over it. She has eternity to get over it." Zeus began to walk away.

"Zeus! There will be famine once more if we don't take care of her!"

He stopped and turned his head towards his sister. "There might be hunger, hard times indeed. This earth survived it once before. It can do it again." He said while lifting his hands, palms up and shrugging his shoulders. His eyes quickly turned to his surroundings once more. He placed his hands on his hips and added, "Olympia. We shall call this city Olympia." He nodded, smiling and resuming his stroll.