Kekiru

Kekiru walked along the streets of Knossos. People greeted him with a nod, a quick word or a simple look. Mindlessly, he turned corners, zig zagged around people, animals or carts left unattended. He could make his way through the intersecting streets of the city blindfolded if needed. He stopped by a tent that stood were his favorite used to be.

"Kekiru! Long day, ha?" A man behind a long table greeted him as he placed an empty cup in front of him.

"You have no idea, Mano." He put his elbows on the table.

"The usual?"

Kekiru nodded. "Not only do I need to take care of the king, but now I also am dealing with two Athenian boys and two dogs."

"You didn't agree to that at the beginning." Mano poured a half cup of wine. He was about to add water to it when Kekiru put his hand on top of the cup.

"Skip the water today."

"It must have been a really long day for you," Mano filled the cup to the rim with just wine.

Kekiru gave him five bronze coins, took the cup and gulped. "Mm. My back is killing me."

"Ah, they made you carry stones too! I had to do that yesterday. We shouldn't need to do that."

"Hard to say no when the King is out there every single day," said Kekiru.

"I never thought he had it in him."

"He's not the boy from long ago, that one who vanished." He finished his cup.

"Another one?"

"Nah! I must get home. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Not tomorrow you won't. I've got to go again for cleanup duty."

Kekiru sighed. "Right..."

Over the last few days, the work around the city had been nearly non-stop. People from all over the island converged on the city. They took turns, day and night, bringing the rubble to the harbor. There was still much to be done, but Knossos began to look like it was ready for a new beginning.

Kekiru stopped by an old man who stood by a cart. "Good fortune."

"Good fortune Kekiru. How's been your day?"

"Don't ask. Got any smoked ham left?"

"Yes, I do!" The elder sang back, while reaching out the back of his cart. He grabbed a small smoked ham and placed it by the edge of the cart. He then extended the palm of his hand for payment.

Kekiru noticed the fresh blisters on the old man's hand. "You've been cleaning up too?"

"If my King does it, so I must."

Kekiru saw the old man's smile, showing his missing teeth. His gray eyes were still clear, without the cloudiness of old age. Kekiru took a deep breath while staring at him softly. He gave him a silver coin.

"That is too much, and I don't have change."

"Don't worry. Are you going back tomorrow?"

The old man nodded while raising his grey eyebrows.

"Go home." Kekiru placed his hands on the old man's shoulders. "Take a couple of days. Drink wine, good wine. Then come back."

"But I'm supposed to help. King Minos expects it."

"Trust me. Nobody will notice you are missing. Besides, you were not supposed to be cleaning up anyway. Just go old man before I change my mind about the silver."

The Old man closed his fist around the coin.

Kekiru smiled as the old man's face lit up while bowing thankfully. He took the ham and resumed his way back home. After a while he reached his home. It was mostly spared from the quake. The few cracks on the walls and missing roof tiles were already repaired or replaced.

"Risura!"

His young wife got out of one of the rooms and welcomed him with a hug and a kiss. She wore a flounced, wool skirt, tight to the waist. She didn't wear a blouse and had her black hair piled up vertically with a band of cloth.

"How's my beauty?" He placed the ham on a table by the side and sat on a chair.

She knelt before him and took his calf-length leather boots off him. "You look tired. You are spending much of the day by the palace."

"You know how it is now that Minos is back."

"I almost wish he hadn't returned. He has you more than I." She got up and brought a jar of water and cloth. She began to clean his feet.

He groaned as he tilted his head back and lifted the corner of his mouth while closing his eyes. "He needs me."

"There are plenty of people who would work for him. Why does it have to be you?"

"Nobody knows him better than I."

"He does not appreciate you." She dried his feet and put sandals on him. "You waited for him while most of Khaptirus thought of him dead. Not you. Has he shown any appreciation? That you stayed with him while all others left him?" She stood, tilted her hips while placing a hand on them.

"You don't understand. People reject him because he looks different. He doesn't abide to traditions, but he means good."

"Does he?" She tossed the wet rags on a basket by the door and went to the table were the ham was to place the half empty water jar.

"Love," he turned her around and placed his arms around her waist.

"We just went through a quake. There's a lot to be done, but he has a plan. Things will eventually get better."

She placed her arms around his shoulders. "I hope so. I am not willing to be without you for long. Being away for three winters voided his claim over you. You can walk away at any time." She kissed him.

Kekiru frowned as he heard a commotion outside. "What's going on?"

They both walked out the house to see people rushing towards the harbor.

Risura asked a group who were passing in front of them. "What's happening?"

"Three ships," a man answered without stopping. "Colchian ships have docked."

Kekiru pressed his eyes as he looked away.

"The foreign laborers began to arrive?" Risura asked.

"I have to go back to the palace."

"Why?" She stepped back, crossing her arms.

"Pasiphae. Our future queen is here."