Naukratis

"King Minos, I am concerned about the arrangements your late brothers and I agreed upon. They are of mutual importance and of great significance," Pharaoh Khamudi said.

"My brothers were following my wishes. I am perfectly aware of everything that was accorded."

"You are?"

"I am the Keiftu King. Why would my brothers act without my approval? Rest assured, I fully intend to keep my promise to Egypt," he asserted while looking at Ahmose, who waited in the background along with Aeëtes, still close enough to hear the conversation.

Despite King Minos words the Pharaoh remained uneasy. There's nothing to do right now. He sensed Minos' urge to leave.

The Keiftu ship, the one his brothers sailed on to Egypt, was ready and waiting, with its crew, supplies and three Athenians on board.

"Be well, and may fortune be by your side," Pharaoh Khamudi said as Minos turned his back on him.

Ahmose and Aeëtes joined the Keiftu King.

"That was annoyingly long," Ahmose said.

An Egyptian hastily rode a two-horse chariot, stopping it by Ahmose's side. The six-spoke wheeled chariot was new. With no ornamentation, it looked unfinished. The rider was a master horseman and handled the beasts which acted uncomfortably.

"We are still working on its design," Ahmose confessed. "The horses get choked, and the carriage remains unstable. This is just a prototype. Once their design is complete, our chariots will be far better than those of the Aamu."

"I am sure they will," a disinterested interrupted as his flying ram approached and landed besides him.

"I've got another gift for you, King Minos," Ahmose said.

What now? Minos thought. Pink birds? I need to leave. I'm done with them. We made our deal, now let's get on with it.

Another Egyptian came to them, walking two dogs on leashes. They were tall, and graceful with ears, legs, and a long, curved tail, all adorned with long feathering and silky hair on the underside. A fawn male with a golden-tan female.

"They are Salukis," Ahmose explained. "They may not be made of gold, but you will not find speedier dogs. It is said that a good Saluki can outrun a horse. Do not walk them unleashed as they will flee. These two are a breeding pair."

Minos knelt and petted them. "These I like," he smiled surprised. He stood and grabbed the leashes from the Egyptian. "Thank you. Have you gathered my first payment?"

"As promised, the payment is waiting for your other ship. Shouldn't you wait for word that it's been loaded?"

"No. I am not concerned about the Olodon. She will reach Khaptirus before we do no matter when she departs. I have a fleet and a kingdom to build. I must hurry back."

"My turn to leave too!" King Aeëtes exuberantly interrupted. "I can just see the faces of all the Colchian chieftains and clansmen as they watch me fly. They'll think my piss is gold mist sprinkling upon them from above."

"We expect you to send us the bronze we agreed on at your earliest," Ahmose reminded Aeëtes.

"-and Minos, I will send Minos my sister to wed. I have as much invested in our accord as either of you."

Minos nodded. Enough talk. Let us get on our separate ways.

The three of them exchanged farewells. There was no joy, or mutual admiration. They were three adolescents with common interests. Minos boarded his ship, Aeëtes mounted his golden ram and Ahmose got on his chariot. Three distinct destinies tied to one common desire: the acquisition of power.

#

A large falcon circled the Olodon, which was docked at Naukratis, a deserted coastal settlement by the northwest of the Nile's delta. Beetles, the size of dogs pushed chests full of precious stones and metals up a ramp, onto the ship.

Pratalus watched on deck, accompanied by an Egyptian.

He wore a shendyt and hanging from its pleated belt was an ankh. Around his neck, a gold disk-shaped pendant hung. "I don't understand why you help this boy. I've never understood why Olympians feel compelled to fulfil promises."

"Of all of us, Ra, I expected you to understand. A fulfilled promise is an expression of loyalty." Poseidon's semblance revealed itself, leaving Pratalus' appearance behind.

"Loyalty between Gods I understand," the Egyptian god of the sun and the sky said. "But you also keep your promises to mortals."

"It feeds their hopes."

"It is dangerous to unleash man."

"They don't know what to ask for. Their ambitions are shallow." His gaze returned to the diligent beetles. "How's your family?"

Ra scoffed. "This Ahmose rebellion will keep most busy, preoccupied with manly affairs."

"That bad!" Poseidon smirked.

"As Thoth used to say-"

"Siduminakumi mina re didero," the Olympian and the Egyptian said in unison. Both Gods chuckled at the memory.

Poseidon stared at the beetles. "Can you let me keep two or three of those critters? They work faster than men."

"Sure."

"What do they eat?"

"Dung," Ra answered.

"Any in particular?"

"It's got to be made from the feces of virgin priestesses from the oracle at Karnak."

Poseidon gave him an empty stare.

"Any dung will do," Ra chuckled. "Should we expect you back?" His attention went to the falcon, who creaked while approaching.

"I'm helping Minos, not working for him," Poseidon scowled, as the falcon perched on Ra's forearm.

"You are facilitating his rise. Man's hunger for power is insatiable."

"Ra. As we once were, mankind will be unleashed."

"Keep them busy building large buildings. If they are tired, they are easier to handle."

"That hasn't always worked for you has it?" Poseidon raised an eyebrow.

Ra reluctantly nodded as he pressed his lips. "I will let you be. Egypt will be busy once again."

"I am grateful for your help," Poseidon said.

"Tna adu son of Cronus," Ra said. His presence faded, being drawn in by the falcon through its talons. Once Ra possessed the falcon, its talons and beak turned to gold.

Captain Pratalus semblanceovertook Poseidon's. "Tna adu, son of none," he said as he watched the bird flyaway.