The Zagreus Rite

The brothers removed the mold encasing Hephaestus bronze leg. The metal was rough and needed tending. With patience and care, they both worked on it. The joints, toes, pores, wrinkles, and nails were exquisitely finished in detail. The new leg was identical to his previous one but for the fact that it was hairless. They polished the metal to make it shine even in the absence of light.

Meanwhile Ari took care of his body. Twice a day, she carefully cleaned his burns with a mixture of wine, boiled water, and vinegar. She coated his skin with a thin layer of honey.

Barely breathing, they all saw him linger on. They had no need of hope as he was still a God. He would not die. At least not yet.

It was her, whom he saw when he opened his eyes, silently, expressionless. For days on, he ate soups made of vegetables and fresh olives. The brothers always by her side, talking among themselves, or teaching Ari Sintiani. They helped in every way.

In time, he acquired a taste for fish. His sleep was restless with dreams filled with too many memories. His body jerked in brief convulsions as flesh and metal got acquainted with each other, a forever painful affair.

The brothers smiled as they saw the bronze come to live. At first it moved slightly – his toes wiggled. Then his ankles and knees bent.

She was worried still. Slowly her hands healed him, memorizing every scar, every wrinkle and imperfection that was now him. No longer would The Fallen One's semblance be God-like, but that of a physically tortured man.

Eventually, he sat up. Gingerly, with a heavy limp, he waddled around, constantly grunting. The leg had full motion, but he struggled with its weight. It was fused, flesh and bronze becoming one by his hip. Throughout his body, some of his burn scars were still purple and raised, while other areas of his skin got tight. Hair began to grow on his head and face.

Yet as he healed, Ari's uneasiness increased. As her worries about Hephaestus wellbeing dissipated, her thoughts turned to her mother.

"What's wrong?" The Fallen One asked her.

"I've been here far too long. Papa must have lost his mind by now, missing his sons without a trace. I am terrified for Mama. Within his rage, he is capable of horrible things. I have to go back home."

"If you must go, then leave. I understand. One of your brothers can stay with me. The other one will accompany you."

"No. No one can see them. They've grown too much. They are already taller than any man I know. They can't speak. At least not our tongue. They would be in danger."

"You would be in danger too; you shouldn't travel alone."

"I can take care of myself," she replied as she began to walk away. "Stay here. I will return for you. I promise." Then she turned to her brothers and told them, "Tanati kidaro dau asu qarawo."

They both nodded as their sister left them behind to care for their master.

Once she was out of sight, Hephaestus called the brothers. "So atiro asu masidwo. Asu qarawo mina ju."

The Sintians helped him up.

#

It was late in the sunny afternoon. After a long trek, collecting fruits and herbs, the Sintians were returning to their camp.

"Pajaro dupurazo!" One of them shouted as he yanked his brother to the ground.

They low crawled to hide behind a bush and peeked over to see shadows of people against large boulders ahead of them. They seemed to be walking on a straight line, one behind the other.