Black Hearts

Life at Poliochne began to regain some sense of normalcy. A few workshops and merchants renewed their businesses. The streets were cleaned and mothers chasing their runaway, playful children crisscrossed Myrina's path.

Scorilo walked besides her, holding Hypsipyle in his arms, while unapproving eyes from the crowd judged on him.

"Tell me about that day at the Strogula," Myrina asked.

"My Lady, the reason I am with you is so I could leave that day behind me."

"No. The reason you are my slave is because you wish never to serve on any ship again. That day will never be behind you."

Scorilo scuffed. "It all went very fast. I was at the Captain's quarters offering seeds to a woman who was our prisoner when two creatures entered the room."

"Who were these creatures?"

"One was a young being. He seemed to have some sort of wings and wielded a strange sword. The other one was older, with one black eye and another one grey. I'll never forget those eyes. Yet the worst was his robe, engulfed in fire. Black fire."

"I saw the winged being. Thanatos, the God of death. He visited me."

Scorilo opened his eyes wide. "Thanatos? That means the other one was-"

"The Dark One himself," Myrina interrupted. "Do you know who this woman was, the one you held prisoner?"

"Persephone. That is all I know about her."

"You mean you didn't know who she really was or why was she being held captive?" Myrina raised her eyebrows.

"No, my Lady."

Myrina scoffed. Sisyphus. Even the Gods you deceived. "Persephone is The Dark One's wife, a Goddess too. So, in one moment, you were in the presence of three gods."

"A moment I want to forget!"

"How did it feel? How did you feel in the presence of the Gods?"

"It was strange. Overwhelming. It was as if the air was sucked out of the room."

"You felt belittled. As if you were in the presence of something overpowering."

"Yes! You felt it too? When you met Thanatos?"

"Demeter was also in my house."

"And how is it that you survived?"

"They weren't looking for me. It was my brother they were hunting for."

"But you said he is alive in Corinth, wherever that might be."

"He is. He actually talked his way out of death."

"Hmm. The best of our captains he was."

"Did you notice their smell?"

"Flowers. They made me sneeze."

"It was more like sweet fruits. Odd."

They arrived at a house, by the outskirts of Poliochne. Alone, it had no neighbors nearby. They stood by the door which Myrina knocked.

The Lady of Lemnos smiled, for she knew every scar on the face of the woman who opened the door. "Surá."

Winters of solitude were not kind to Surá. Although many questioned the disappearance of her husband, she was only subject of rumors and gossip. Her scarred appearance repelled the advances from any man. Only Myrina kept visiting her with some regularity.

"It's been a while. Who is this man?"

"Scorilo, my slave."

took a step back. "You have a slave?"

Myrina turned towards Scorilo and took from him. "Wait here." She entered the house and sat on a chair offered by Surá. She began feeding her child.

"What's her name?"

"Hypsipyle."

"I'm surprised she is still alive."

"I stopped Thoas. That is part of the reason why Scorilo is my slave."

"Clever. You did learn a thing or two from your mother."

"She was the only woman I ever knew who could stand her ground against men."

"It looks like you are on your way to do the same." he stood behind Myrina and took a good look at the child. "She's beautiful."

"I want you to help me raise her."

Surá pressed her lips and walked around Myrina. She moved a chair in front of her, sat and crossed her legs and arms. "Now why would you ask me to do such a thing?"

"This child. She is innocent, unwritten. I look at her and wonder, what do I have to offer? Resentment? Bitterness? Hate? I feel sorry for her because I know what her future will be."

"And you think I will be different because?"

"I know, you've suffered and mostly because of me. I will never forgive myself for not escaping with you when we had the chance. I was wrong and you paid the price. I know you only have resentment towards me, but my feelings for you remain the last vestige of good residing within me. Perhaps we can find it within ourselves to offer this child the love we once shared."

Surá placed her elbows on her knees and stared at Myrina. "It's true, I resent you, but long ago I also forgave you. After all you did save me from a lifetime of torment. Even after that night we still had a chance to run away, but we didn't. Then you lived the life you freed me from. That was your punishment, while mine was to be here, alone. In the end, we are both empty, looking back at a past that never was."

Myrina's eyes glistened as she said with a trembling voice, "If I could, I would rid this cursed island from every single man."

Hypsipyle stopped feeding. As her mother cleaned her mouth, she made a quiet, cooing sound.

"That hate will not serve in raising that child."

"Let's raise her together, Surá. Perhaps this child will heal some of our wounds."

Surá passed a finger over her face scars. "Some wounds are never meant to heal." She leaned back on her chair and took a deep breath. "What about that slave of yours?"

"He just needs to be near her. His presence protects her."

"A man in my house?"

"He can wait outside, like he's doing right now."

Surá stood and extended her arms. "Let me hold her."

Myrina watched in anticipation as Surá walked with the child in circles around her.

"She is far too young. I am unable to feed her. Will that be a problem?"

"I'll be here as often as I need to be." Myrina raised her eyebrows in anticipation.

Surá raised an eyebrow while looking down at Hypsipyle. "Two black hearts to raise an unwritten child. What could possibly go wrong?"