A Slave and the Unborn

Myrina sat in her house surrounded by other women. She held Hypsipyle in her arms.

"My lady, it is true. We are tired of the oppression and torture we endure, but how can we push back against our husbands?" One woman asked.

"If we refuse them, they will rape us," another one said.

A few of them scoffed. "They rape us anyway!"

"Even if we band together, we are no match for them," yet another woman said. "They will beat us to a pulp."

"I agree," Myrina accepted. "But there is one retaliation within our hands against which they would be helpless."

The women exchanged their puzzlement.

"We can refuse to bear their children."

"What do you mean my Lady."

"If we were to become impregnated, we get rid of the unborn."

Some women covered their mouths, gasping. Others murmured amongst themselves.

"My Lady, that's against the Gods' will."

Myrina scoffed. "When was the last time a God did anything for us? What do we have that would persuade any of them to help us?"

The women remained silent.

"We are on our own and no one is coming to help us," said The Lady of Lemnos.

"How could we do this? How could we get rid of that which lives within us?" A woman who was with child asked.

"As soon as you realize you might be with child go get some tansy and squaw mint. Grind them, boil and strain them. Add a little honey for taste. Drink it regularly until the unborn is expelled."

The women talked. Some were unsure, others stood resolute. They all went quiet when someone knocked on the door.

"Enter," Myrina said.

It was Scorilo. He was dressed in rags and looked as if he hadn't eaten in days. His stench made some women cover their noses. His eyes were bloodshot and wild. "Where's the Lady of Lemnos?" He noticed most women's stare guided him to Myrina. He rushed to her, dropped to his knees and kissed her feet.

The women were repulsed by the sight.

Myrina remained calm. "Stop. Who are you?"

"Scorilo, my Lady." He would not dare take his eyes off the floor. "I served your brother on the Strogula."

"The only survivor besides your brother my Lady," one woman exclaimed surprised.

"My brother told me of you." She walked to one of the women and handed her Hypsipyle. "What do you want?" She crossed her arms.

"My Lady, I want to be your slave," he said with a trembling voice, his nose and forehead touching the floor.

The women erupted in surprise, questioning each other and staring at Myrina.

"Why?" The Lady of Lemnos asked calmly, unfaced by the request.

Scorilo raised his head, still kneeling with hands on the floor. "They made me clean the Strogula, all by myself. All the blood and guts. To this day, the faces of such monsters scream at me every night." Tears ran down his cheeks. "I would tell everyone who would listen of what happened that day on that ship. They all think I am mad."

"Insane indeed," one woman said.

"Don't listen to this madness my Lady!" Another one yelled.

Myrina signaled them to stop with her hand. She walked up to a table and filled a cup with wine. She took a knife and sliced some bread, offering it to Scorilo.

He gulped the drink while spilling it over him. He filled his mouth with the bread.

Myrina sat by him. When she saw him calming down, she encouraged him, "Go on."

"They want me to sail on the Strogula again." He shook his head vigorously. "I don't want to be near any ship. I want to be as far away from anyone who has anything to do with ships. If I serve you, they can't make me sail again."

The chatter among the women resumed until Thoas slammed the door open. "What is he doing here?! Go back to your ship!"

Scorilo stood, his back hunched.

"Wait," Myrina told Scorilo. "Why are you here?" She asked Thoas.

"I came for the child."

"You are not having her!" She yelled while a couple of women stood in front of the one holding Hypsipyle. She clenched the bread knife she still held and walked up to him. "She stays with me!"

"It is my right as lord of Lemnos to dispose of any child of mine I see not fit for my succession."

"You killed my previous three. You are not killing Hypsipyle." She stood toe to toe with Thoas. Her face revealed the fury of a lifetime constrained.

Thoas hesitated for a moment. Then he tried to shove Myrina. "Get out of my way."

She pushed the knife against his manhood, instantly stopping him. "Unless you want to become someone else's bitch you stop this moment and get out of my house."

The women looked at each other without saying a word.

Thoas retreated and rubbed himself. "If not now, then some other time. You can't stop me forever."

"He will!" She took Hypsipyle from the woman who had her and walked towards Scorilo. "I accept. You will take care of this child and make sure no harm ever falls upon her. Her fate is your fate. Do you agree with my terms?"

"Yes, my Lady." He took the child from Myrina.

"What are you doing?" Thoas asked.

"Scorilo came and asked me to be his owner."

"You can't do that! No woman can own slaves!"

"Says who? Our laws do not say women can't be slave owners. They only stipulate that a full blooded Lemnian has the right to choose his or her owner should they wish to be slaves."

"You're wrong!" Thoas face blushed.

"The law also says no full blooded Lemnian man shall force his will on another one. You can't take Hypsipyle from him."

The women again chattered amongst themselves while looking at Thoas out of the corner of their eyes.

Thoas bit his lower lip and his neck stiffened. He took a couple of steps back. "You embarrass me. I curse the day I met you!"

"You want to bark at the little men roaming around the harbor? Go and play with your ships and blades. Go hunt for imaginary foes. Ask your brother what to do and mess it all up. Go play your man-games."

"This is not the end of this." Thoas turned around and slammed the door shut on his way out.

"What have you done my Lady?" A woman asked.

"This will be the end of us," another one cried.

"How did you say I could get rid of my unborn?" The woman with child asked.

Myrina smirked.