Behemoths

"They are river monsters," Rhadamanthus explained to his brother.

"They will not be a hard kill."

"Sarpedon, you never think any kill is difficult, much less dangerous."

The brothers got on the horses offered to them by the Pharaoh's servants.

"Do they have horns?" Sarpedon asked.

"Hmm." You never paid attention to our tutors. "No. But they do have huge mouths with large tusks."

"Such a large animal in the water must be slow."

"It does not matter how fast or slow they might be. If they are under water, you will not see them coming."

"You always worry too much, Rhadam. Just let the hunting to me. If I need to talk my way out of danger, I'll be sure to call on big brother for assistance." Sarpedon kicked his horse to a trot.

The brothers were accompanied by a guide. He was a dark skinned, stalky man, with well-oiled wavy black hair and a groomed beard that came down over the collar to his robe. He was an Aamu named Danel.

"What can you tell me about this festival we are going to?" The Wise One asked the guide.

"Your Egyptian is very good my lord," the Aamu said.

"This is Egypt, required learning at Knossos palace," Sarpedon answered.

"Required learning?" Rhadamanthus raised an eyebrow.

Sarpedon smirked back at him. "Of course! Out tutors always told me how good a student I was."

Rhadamanthus frowned back.

"The gathering of all the Lords and Kings of the region ensures order and peace to our lives," Danel explained. "To celebrate we are hosting a Festival to honor Taweret."

Speaking in Keiftu, Rhadamanthus shared his puzzlement with his brother. "What does a fertility goddess have to do anything with order and peace?"

Sarpedon shrugged his shoulders. "I don't know. You do know I know what a Hippo is don't you? I was just playing with you."

"Let it be, for Hera's sake."

"We celebrate by spearfishing red p-ehe-mau," Danel continued.

"Red Hippopotamus?" Rhadamanthus whispered.

The Just One narrowed his eyes wondering over the vastness of the cotton fields they travelled through.

The purple and white robes of the brothers flapped against the morning breeze as they reached the banks of the Nile, with the city of Djanet at their sight. Rising majestically, the temple of Amun stood within the wealthy, ancient city.

"Djanet is old, but its original beauty remains untarnished," Danel proudly affirmed.

"You respect Egypt's past," Rhadamanthus said.

"We are Egypt. I was born here, so was my father," Danel explained.

Inside the city, they approached the temple , where they dismounted, left the horses with Danel, and entered. Rows of sphinxes, walls carved with writings and fading painted images, followed by more rows of parallel columns – all giant stone creations belittling those walking around them. On an increasingly warm mid-day, the temple seemed cold and lifeless. A group of Keiftu, sailors from Knossos who brought the brothers to Egypt, were waiting for them.

"Where is Minos?" Sarpedon asked the men.

"We don't know," someone answered. "We have not seen him since yesterday."