Myrina

Poliochne's main market was buzzing. The smell of roasted meat, the calls from the merchants and the ruckus from eager buyers stimulated the senses on a warm afternoon. Among the merchants was young Myrina with her mother, Admete, offering goat and rabbit skins for sale.

A man was going through their merchandise. "They are fine indeed, but I was looking for something larger."

"We've got just what you need," Myrina enthusiastically said. She bent underneath their table and took out a cow skin from a sack and offered it to him.

"We were saving it for someone special, someone who could appreciate it," Admete said.

The man inspected it closely. "Three bronze pieces."

Admete frowned upon him. "Are you trying to steal from me? I wouldn't sell you a goat skin for that."

"The day is almost to an end and it looks like most of your skins are yet to sell. Do you want to go empty handed? Three bronze pieces it is."

"You must take me for a fool," Admete grabbed the skin and pulled it from him. "Twelve bronze or a silver piece. That's fair prize."

The man didn't let go of the skin and tossed the three bronze pieces on the table. He yanked the skin off Admete's grasp and turned away with the cow skin.

"You walk away with that skin and I will see the council about this!" Admete threatened.

The man turned towards her.

She continued, "A sale has not been made. You know the law. You are stealing from me. Now you decide what will it be."

He returned to the table, grabbed a small bag that hung from his belt and took out eight bronze pieces. He slammed them on the table.

Before he could pull it away, she grabbed his hand and dug her nails into his skin. Her eyes pierced him. "Twelve pieces or the council."

He shook her hand off and placed one more piece on the table as he grunted on his way out.

"Men always think we are stupid. I tell you Myrina if you ever want to survive, you must know the laws of men."

"Hey! Admete!" Another merchant on the other side of the thoroughfare called.

"What do you want?" Admete answered while putting away her unsold skins.

"I see you haven't lost your charm. Your negotiating skills are as smooth as a brick." The merchant chuckled.

"Mind your own business." She pulled Myrina in front of her and covered her ears. "I'll tell your wife how you spend half your earnings in young children and goats."

The merchant grunted and turned away.

As if it weren't enough that we must deal with whores. She let go of Myrina. "Help me pick everything up. We have to go cook."

Myrina moved lazily, not wishing to go back home.

"Girl you best move along. We got things to do."

"I don't want to go home. Ever since Sisyphus left the house feels empty."

"I don't understand why you are missing him at all. You hated his presence. All he ever did was to oppress you. You should be glad he's gone. He's probably on his knees cleaning the deck of the Strogula."

Myrina ignored her mother's words.

Admete grabbed her daughter's wrist and squeezed. "Listen to me! Your father is already looking a suitor. Your childhood is at its end. Act like it. We got work to do."