Three Conversations

"You want to build what?" Hephaestus asked the Sintian.

"Kunisugrak."

"How big?" Ari asked.

Her brother extended his arms wide and then high above his head. "Itaja!"

"We don't have enough material to make something that big," the Fallen One asserted.

"Dawa Kunisu pi."

"Where?" Hephaestus shook his head while grunting. "Why didn't you tell me before you knew where to retrieve bronze raw materials?"

"Ju sa puko."

"What do you mean I didn't ask? How would I know I needed to ask?"

"You were a god at the time," Ari said while sitting on a chair by the hearth of their home. "Don't bother. One thing that hasn't changed is that once he puts his mind into something, he will carry it through no matter what."

"How long do you think it's going to take you to build that thing? We can do so many other things," Hephaestus frowned while pacing from side to side.

"Si!" Her brother nodded while crossing his arms.

Hephaestus sighed as he rubbed the back of his neck. He walked to Ari, placed his hands on her shoulders and kissed her head. "I am sorry. It appears our trip to the market was unnecessary, after all."

"No need to dwell on a mistake," Ari held his hand and kissed it.

"You are on your own," he told her brother. "I can't leave Ari alone now. You'll need to pick up your materials, as I am not giving you what we got."

Ari scowled at him.

"We don't know if we'll need it for something else," he answered Ari's silent disagreement. "We got rid of seven Myrmerkes. It will not end there." He looked at the Sintian. "You will pick up your own material."

The Sintian extended his arm towards Hephaestus with his palm up. "Dawa mina Sinteis."

The Fallen One took a deep breath and went to a shelf on the wall by the far side of the house. He grabbed a small jar and returned to the Sintian. After opening it, he handed him one single, seed-sized crystal.

Ari's brother shook his head and signaled three with his fingers.

"Why?" Hephaestus asked.

"Itaja!" He spread his hands wide and tall.

Hephaestus stared at Ari.

"Don't look at me, " she shrugged her shoulders. "You trained him. If he says he needs three crystals, who am I to question it?"

The Smithing God handed him the additional two crystals and watched as he hurried out the house with a big smile.

"Why does he want to do this?" Ari said as she wrapped her hands around his waist while watching her brother leave.

"To prove his craftsmanship."

"How long will it take him?"

"It depends on how fast he can get materials. If I knew he had the means of acquiring them we would have never gone to the market."

"For a former immortal, you sure dwell on the past."

"The past never leaves you," he turned around and kissed Ari.

#

"Slow down!" Myrina yelled at Scorilo, who couldn't stay still inside Surá's home.

"You are making Hypsipyle nervous," Surá said while rocking the child in her arms.

"A Giant, I tell you. I saw a Giant."