The Heartbreaking News (Chapter 3)

It was a weekend. Few weeks had already passed since Martin got out of jail and accepted Venus' deal.

"Update me about Mr. Tan." Venus said to the one she's talking to on the phone while she was going down the stairs to eat breakfast.

"He's in the States right now Ma'am but he's coming back in the few weeks. And you may want to ask about Angel, the girlfriend of Martin." The one on the other line said.

"What about her?"

"She's getting married in a few months to Mr. Tan's son Xavier."

 "And.."

"The reason for that marriage is that Angel is rich and Mr. Tan wants to get richer. And as expect it is an arranged marriage and it's all because of greed."

"You really are good in what you do. Good work."

Venus puts her phone down and when she got to the dining area, Martin was already there eating breakfast looking all tidy and handsome unlike before.

"Good morning Ms. Venus." Henry immediately said.

"Good morning Henry."  Venus said.

"What are you having Ms. Venus? There's French toast, Eggs Benedict and there are also waffles." Henry said.

"Eggs Benedict would do."

Venus started reading the newspaper while waiting for her breakfast while she was browsing through the newspaper she saw something that confirmed what her private investigator told her.

"How long have you been in jail before I got you out Mr. Herrera?" Venus said as she puts down the newspaper.

"I thought you already knew about that since you seemed to know everything about me."

"Just answer it Mr. Herrera."

"Fine. 3 years."

"Well, you want to know what happened to the love of your life in those years that you were gone and even until now?"

"What are you talking about?"

Venus gave the newspaper to Martin.

"Read it and look at the picture." Venus said to Martin.

It was an article about Xavier Tan his fiancée Angel Santiago. It was about how they met and how they kept their relationship strong. It was about how Xavier proposed to Angela and their upcoming wedding that will be happening in a few months.

"Angel.." was all that Martin said. His expression while he was reading the articles was like he just saw a ghost.

Henry then comes inside the dining room while holding the Eggs Benedict for Venus.

"What happened?" Henry said.

"The love of his life is getting married to Mr. Tan's son, Xavier."

*****************************************************************************************

"When you and a lady arrive in a restaurant, you always pull the chair for the lady like this for her to sit before you yourself sit." Henry said.

But it is as if Martin is not listening.

 "Mr. Herrera? Are you even listening to me?" Henry said.

"I'm sorry Henry. What were you saying?" Martin said.

"Mr. Herrera, I know having to learn that the one you love is marrying another guy is painful. That is why you're doing this to get her back. So pay attention, remember everything that I will teach you and be a better man for Angel." Henry said.

Venus then passes by, holding some papers she's taking care of but Henry stopped him.

"Ms. Venus? I know you're busy but can you help me with Martin's lesson for today?" Henry said.

"Sure. I have no problem with that Henry." Venus said.

"Stand here Ms. Venus. Martin, pretend you and Ms. Venus are going inside the restaurant together and when you arrive to your table, pull the chair for Ms. Venus for her to sit before you yourself sit. Okay? Do it."

Martin did what he was told and he did it perfectly.

"Very good Martin. And now, we'll practice dancing. Is it okay again Ms. Venus if you help us?"

Venus smiled and said, "Anything for you Henry."

"So you do it like this. One, two, three. One, two, three. One, two, three." Henry said as he demonstrates to Martin how to do the basic waltz. "Now, it's your turn to do it."

Martin then places his hand at the back of Venus while his other hand was holding Venus's hand.

"Face Ms. Venus." Henry said.

But it seems like Martin can't look straight at Venus.

"Mr. Herrera, eye contact is the key." Venus said.

And eventually Martin was able to look at Venus and they started dancing the waltz.

*****************************************************************************************

Later that night, Martin couldn't sleep so he went down to get a glass of ice cold water. As he was going down the stairs, he suddenly hears a beautiful yet sad melody coming from the piano. Turns out it was Venus who was playing the piano. And Martin just stood there and watched as Venus played.

"Are you learning a lot from Henry?" Venus said as she finished playing and noticed Martin was watching all along.

"Yes I am." Martin said.

Venus then takes a sip of red wine and said, "You know if Henry wasn't working for me, he'd be rich and powerful already. He knows lots of things and very hardworking. But he said he can't leave me and already treats me as his own daughter. Well, I treat him like he's my father ever since Dad died."

Venus took another sip of red wine.

"Why am I even saying this to you? Maybe I have drunk too much red wine already."

Venus then stands up and walked towards the stairs. She was about to fall down but hopefully, Martin was able to catch her.

"I'll help you." Martin said as he puts him hand on the side of Venus to help her get up the stairs.

And when they arrive in front of Venus' room, Venus said, "Thank you. I can go inside my room on my own."

"No it's okay." Martin said.

He then opens the door of Venus' room and helped Venus get into her bed. Martin looked around her room.

It was full of books and vinyl records. It was more of a library than a room. There were also paintings by Manansala on the walls.

"Ms. Venus, what's wrong?" Henry suddenly appeared.

"She was a bit drunk and already having a hard time going up the stairs so I helped her." Martin said.

"I always tell her not to drink but she's just so stubborn." Henry said as he immediately approaches the sleeping Venus and tucked her into bed.

"Henry, may I ask you something?"

"Sure Mr. Herrera."

"Just call me Martin or even Franc since according to Venus that is my new name."

"What is it then Martin?"

"With all the knowledge that you have, why do you still stay with Venus? I mean you can be rich and powerful if you want too."

"I know Martin that you too are an orphan so you know how it feels to lose the people you love and be alone. Loneliness is a feeling that Venus is very familiar with that is why I am here to make that feeling go away. I treat her as a daughter and she treats me like a second father."