Taking Care of Her (Chapter 13)

After the incident, Venus woke up very early around 4 am. It was still dark outside. She noticed Henry sleeping on the chair beside her bed and Martin sleeping near the side of her. Even though she was still weak, she took out the IV which was at the back of her left palm and trying not to wake up both Henry and Martin, she went to the attic and looked at the stars through the telescope.

She doesn’t want think about her sickness. It was actually the least of her problems. She’s not that melodramatic like what they show on TV or movies. She’s not a damsel in distress. She never was. Her body maybe is weak because of cancer but her spirit isn’t. But she is sick of being sick. She wants to live but she’s ready to die also. Isn’t death inevitable? Eventually, even though it is a painful truth, we will all die. It’s just the manner and time of death that varies.

“You shouldn’t be here. You should be resting.” Martin said.

Venus didn’t know that when she got out of bed, Martin woke up and realized she was gone so Martin looked for her around the house and eventually found her in the attic looking at the stars.

“I no longer want to argue. So don’t worry about me and just go to your own room and sleep. Or better yet, just leave. Go. You can keep your job, clothes, car and everything I bought for you. You will not go back to jail but you will not get the 20 million either. Just 200,000 maybe since you still did something. Just go. The deal is off.”

Venus got down the ladder. Martin immediately followed and stopped Venus by pulling her arm gently.

“The deal is not off. I will not allow it.” Martin said.

“Why? Is 200,000 small for you? Then I’ll make it half a million. Is that okay with you now?” Venus said.

“No. I will not allow that the deal will be off especially with what I knew from Henry.”

“I told him to not tell you. But I guess, he has grown attached to you. Well, he gets attached to people easily. But Mr. Herrera, I don’t need your pity. I will not get richer if you give me pity. And that look is the reason why I don’t tell people about my illness. I loathe that look. I don’t need anybody’s pity. 3 years ago the doctors told me that I only have a year to live but look at me now, I’m still alive and kicking. I want live but I am not afraid to die. I still have office later so if you don’t, I’ll go back to my room so that I could take a nap before going to work.”

Venus then leaves the study room.

*****************************************************************************************

 “Henry, I need to get to work.” Venus said as she tries to go out of the house but Martin locked all the doors and is blocking the front door so that Venus wouldn’t be able to go out of the house.

“Ms. Venus you need to rest. You’re still weak because of what happened last night.” Henry said.

“Henry, I am okay already. I can manage to go to work.”

“But Ms. Venus, I’m really worried about you.”

“I already told you Henry. Don’t worry too much about me okay? So move aside so that I’ll be able to go to work.”

“On the count of three.” Henry suddenly said.

“What are you saying Henry?” Venus said.

“One, two, three!” Henry said then suddenly from behind Martin carries Venus. It turns out Martin was at the back of Venus.

“Henry! Mr. Herrera put me down. I need to get to work. I love you Henry but you and Mr. Herrera will be both fired if you Mr. Herrera will not put me down.” Venus said.