The Painful Truth (Chapter 17)

Venus arrived at her home the same night.

“Good evening Ms. Venus.” Henry said.

“Good evening Henry. It’s already late. Why are you still awake?”

“I was waiting for you Ms. Venus.”

“You didn’t have too. But Henry, I know it’s already later can you do me a favor before going to sleep?”

“What is it?”

“Can you bring coffee to my room?”

“Sure Ms. Venus.”

Venus then goes to her room and got dressed to go to sleep. As she was changing her clothes, she heard a knock.

“Just place the cup of coffee on top of the bed side drawer.” Venus said. “By the way Henry, have you heard about Xavier and Angel? Their engagement is already off. That is why I’m really happy everything is going as planned. Sorry Henry. I know you’re already sleepy. You can..”

Venus then goes out of her closet to see that it wasn’t Henry who went inside but Martin.

“Happy birthday to you..” Martin started singing.

Venus was surprised to see Martin holding a cake and singing “Happy Birthday”

When Martin finished singing, he said “Happy Birthday! I know you don’t like celebrating your birthday but to thank you for everything I baked you a cake. Well, Henry did most of the baking but I helped.”

Martin then smiles and motions to the cake for Venus to blow the candles on the cake. So Venus blows the flame of the candles and said, “Thank you Mr. Herrera. I have to say I am touched. But it’s already late. You can keep the cake in the fridge first and I’ll eat it tomorrow.”

“No. It’s okay. Let’s eat it now. I brought forks.”

“Mr. Herrera!”

“Please! The cake wouldn’t taste that good anymore if we eat it tomorrow.”

Martin then places the cake on the coffee table and started eating the cake.

“Let’s eat!” Martin said.

Venus had no choice but to sit beside Martin and eat the cake.

“Here.” Martin said then got cake using his fork and was about to feed Venus with the cake but then Venus immediately got the fork and got cake on her own.

“Mr. Herrera, I can eat on my own.” Venus said.

Venus and Martin then took turns in eating the cake.

“You must be very happy right now Mr. Herrera?”

“Because of this? Well, I have to admit yes.” Martin said then blushes.

“What are you talking about Mr. Herrera? I was talking about Angel and Xavier’s engagement being off already. You must be very happy since you and Angel don’t need to hide from people.”

“Oh that’s what you meant. Yeah. I am very happy right now.”

“Well, Xavier feels the opposite. I met him just a while ago and he’s drinking alone like there’s no tomorrow.”

“You’re concerned now about Xavier after all the bad things he had done to you?”

“Mr. Herrera, what are trying to say?”

“Nothing. I better go. Good night. I’m glad you liked the cake. Happy Birthday again.”

Martin then stands up and leaves.