A Day Together (Chapter 18)

“Ms. Venus, Mr. Sebastian is here to see you.” Gail said to Venus as Venus was busy working on something.

“What does he need? Okay let him in. Thank you Gail.” Venus said.

Gail left Venus’ office and then Martin suddenly appears.

“Mr. Herrera, what are you doing here?” Venus said to Martin.

“Henry told me to accompany you to the hospital since he’s a bit busy. He also told me you don’t like going to the hospital but according to Henry, you need to do this certain check up that you can’t do at home.” Martin said.

“Oh that’s today? I completely forgot.” Venus said then fixed her things and got her bag. “Okay I will go to the hospital now. But you can go back to your work Mr. Herrera. I can go to the hospital on my own.”

“But Henry told me to accompany you. Henry would get mad at me if I will not accompany you.”

“Mr. Herrera, I will be the one to get mad at you if you insist on taking me when I can go on my own. And between Henry and me, who’s the boss?”

“Fine. You’re the boss.”

Venus then went out of her office and said to Gail, “I don’t have any more meetings right?”

“Yes Ms. Venus.” Gail said.

“If that’s the case then I will go around to check some of our branches in Makati. I’m not sure if I would be able to come back since I still have to do something to do aside from that so just call me when you need something and just email me that the papers that I need to go through.”

“Okay Ms. Venus.” Gail said.

*****************************************************************************************

Martin may have allowed Venus to go alone but secretly, he followed Venus to the hospital.

“Okay Ms. Steel. We’ll just call you when the results come out.” Martin heard the doctor say for Martin was just outside of the door of the doctor’s office.

When Martin then heard footsteps coming from inside, Martin immediately hid so that Venus would not see him. After a few seconds, he saw Venus passed by and went to the nursery where the newborn babies are. Martin immediately followed Venus. He then saw Venus looking so happy as she looks at the babies. It was the first time he saw Venus that happy.

“There’s no need to hide. You can come out Mr. Herrera. I know you have been following me.” Venus said.

“I was just concerned okay. I don’t want to leave since I know you don’t like being in hospitals.”

“Well, thank you for your concern Mr. Herrera. But you know me.”

“I know you can do everything on your own. But it’s different to have someone to just beside you. It’s different to let someone make you happy. Just like these babies, when you were watching them closely, it is the first time I have seen you so happy. Because you always look angry or sad. You always have this poker face.  You know someone told me once, happiness comes in many forms — in the company of good friends, in the feeling you get when you make someone else’s dream come true, or in the promise of hope renewed. It’s okay to let yourself be happy because you never know how fleeting that happiness might be.”

Venus was about to say something but suddenly Grey appeared.

“Venus? Franc? What are you doing here?” Grey said.

“I was just visiting a friend.” Venus said.

“Me too but a different friend, he’s a doctor here.” Martin said.