«3 - Cursed Gear»

I lean against the fence that keeps students from falling off the rooftop while Yuu explains how bad I was the other day.

"Ugh, just kill me now. Where's the nearest ditch?" I groan.
"Aw, c'mon. You've done waay worse stuff. Remember last month when you rode one of the Four Horsemen Of John. You were so difficult." Yuu laughs as I cover my tomato face.

"How about I throw you in that ditch." I mumble.
"I'd like to see you try. Maybe I'll get Guren to shut you up." Yuu laughs.

Now I know how Yuu feels when I tease him...

"Alright, alright! And plus, it's been getting way worse. Each time I 'level up', I do something even crazier. I'll probably jump out the hospital window next time." I sigh.

The roof door opens, revealing a girl our age. Her hair is medium length, up to her shoulders and her bangs cover a portion of her eye. Her face is small and circular and she's wearing the same uniform as me.

I look down to her hands to see a note as she looks around, her eyes meeting with Yuu's.

"Um... Yuuichiro Hyakuya? You saved me from that vampire. Thank you so much!"

Oh. She's the girl that vampire almost fed on the other day! She looks a lot better and more energetic now. Good to see her up and around.

"I love you! I wrote down what I feel in this letter. Please read it!" She bows down and holds the note to Yuu before running away.

My insides start bubbling up.
I couldn't be... no way... right...?

"...Huh?"
"She's a fan girl, Yuu. She sees you as some hero when you're really just a cute, little child." I sigh.
"Did you just call me cute?"

"H-huh? T-t-that's not the point!! Why's that the thing you pick up!! I-Idiot Yuu!!" I yell, smacking him on the head as he laughs.

"Well anyway... I don't have time for any of this nonsense." Yuu confesses, staring at the note.

"My, my. Now that you're the 'heroes' who saved the school from a vampire... aren't you getting popular with the girls and guys." Shinoa giggles.

"Guys? (N/n), you've been getting these, too?" Yuu says.
"Yeah,it's annoying. Someone comes up to me every day with one of these." I sigh.

"E-eh?! Everyday?! It's only been 4 days!!"
"What? Are you jealous~?" I say, going back to my teasing.
"S-Shut up!" He calls, causing me to giggle.

He didn't deny it, though.

"Well anyway, is she the next one you're going to make cry, then?" Shinoa asks as the wind blows through her hair.

"What do you mean 'next one'? I haven't done anything like that!"

"Yeah, he's a virgin." I giggle.
"True. Virgin." Shinoa directs at me.
"I'm 16. Of course I'm a virgin. What about you~?" I tease.

"(N/n)...! Shinoa...!" Yuu says with a red face.

"Virginity is a 'bad thing' these days. Everyday, we of the Japanese Imperial Demon Army... encourage people to hook up." Shinoa confesses with the most serious face possible.

"Huh?" Yuu's mouth gapes as his face slowly becomes more and more red.

"The world has already ended once. It was ravaged by an unknown virus. Monsters appeared suddenly and killed more people. Now, the human population has been reduced to a mere fraction of what it once was."

"Shinoa this better not be what I think it is." I say with a scary, tomato face.

"Beyond those walls lie wastelands and crumbling ruins, overrun with monsters. This world of ours... no longer welcomes humanity."