«12 - Dangerous Drugs»

(A/n: Not me taking the piss out of this chapter😂)

Four Years Ago/Sanguinem

"Hey, Yuu. Yuu!" Mika calls as he lays on his stomach.
"I'm busy reading." Yuu says while we read a book together.

"Yuu. Hey, Yuu! Yuu-"
"Not you too, (N/n)! Quit being such a pain! What is it, you two?"

"Hey... What if we escape the vampire city? What kind of stuff would you want to do then?"
"See a giraffe!" I say, my eyes lighting up.

"Huh? You're weird."
"It's a dream of one of my old friends." I smile.
"You should tell us about them some time." Mika says.

"Anyway, that's nonsense, stupid. The outside world is dead. The virus killed everybody, including giraffes. We'd never get out-"

"What if, Yuu! Just 'What if'." I sigh, smacking him in the head.

"What if one day the Hyakuya Orphanage got out? What if we found a world with no vampires in it at all? Wouldn't that be great?"

"...Just us?" Yuu asks.
"Yep! Just us and our family."

"...giraffe with (N/n)." He mumbles.
"What was that, Yuu? You wanna see giraffes wi-" I tease.

"I said, that'd be kind cool, I guess." I pouts as Mika scoots closer to me.

"Well then... I guess we might try harder after all." Mika smiles as I pat his hair.

Present

Four years have passed since then. But Mika... The outside world isn't paradise. It's covered pole to pole with vampires. It's not safe...

"Die, human scum!" A yell comes from near me as I kill another vampire.

When I look over, Yuu slices the vampire in half as it fades into the wind.

"Shut it, vampire. You're the ones who are gonna die." Yuu says, watching as it fades.

I kill four more vampires as the others do the same although, it's a waste of energy. The front lines will have all the Nobles. We need to save our stamina.

"Hey! We could stay here killing vampires all day, but it won't help anything!" Saltymizuki shouts, having killed another vampire.

"I agree. Our orders are to meet Guren on the frontlines on the 5th street intersection to take out the commander. If we keep going like this, we could make it by noon — tomorrow." I sigh.

"Yuuichiro!" Yoichi calls.
"Yuuichiro? Let's go." Shinoa says calmly, walking up to Yuu as I join them.
"Right, let's move!"

We start running through the city to the 5th intersection as Shinoa begins talking,
"Oh! One more thing before we reach the front lines. Do you mind?"

"Huh? Mind what?"
"Is it to do with when we faced that noble earlier?" I ask.

"I know this is sudden... but let's begin your very first training session!"

"Wha...? Training now?" Yuu asks.
"Don't stop running. I shall explain on the way."
"But now? In the middle of all this? What is this 'training'?" I ask, sceptical.

"It's precisely because we're in the middle of 'all this'. This has some to do with that encounter with the noble not long ago. Even though you both bear a weapon in the top rank of cursed gear... A rare 'black demon' sword and katana... You could still be killed in the blink of an eye. You'll be useless on the front lines." Shinoa explains.