chapter two.

Finally it was the end of another school day. Claudia was relieved to have made it through another school day, but she was sure going to miss her kids even if it was just for the weekend. As she was locking her classroom door, she heard Garret do the same to his.

"Oh, hey, Claudia. Not staying this time?" Garrett asked, putting his keys away in his pocket.

Some days, Claudia would stay behind to grade papers or help students with their work if they asked. This time, she had finished all her grading, updated every students grade and none of her kids asked for help so she decided to go treat herself to some donuts.

"No, not this time. I'm going to the donut shop that opened three months ago. Want to join?" She asked. "I mean, you don't have to, you might have plenty of things to do on a friday afternoon." She adjusted her bag on her shoulder and walked with Garrett down the stairs to the teachers parking lot.

"I wish I could. My brother's in town." Garrett said in a disappointed tone. "He's getting married this weekend and he wants to get married at the church we went to as kids."

Together, they walked out of the building, Garrett holding the door for her as they went out. "Ah, all the family is swarming in?" Claudia questioned.

Garrett nodded slowly. "Yes, unfortunately. I get to hear my whole entire family criticize my career choice for a whole week. They think I'm throwing away my life with teaching. I love it."

Claudia chuckled at him. "Me too, bud." She sighed then walked over to her car. "Congratulate your brother for me, yeah? If you change your mind on that donut, I'll be there for an hour. Have a great weekend, Garrett. Don't listen to your family. You're doing what you love."

Garrett smiled at her. He mouthed a thank you then walked over to his own car. He remembered the first day he met Claudia as if it was yesterday. They got along real quick, their first conversation was about Star Trek or Star Wars. Both refused to give an honest answer.

Back in Claudia's car, she quickly put on her favorite Spotify playlist and began to drive out the parking lot. She hummed along to the song that was currently playing. She saw several students waiting for their parents to pick them up, going to their own cars to leave with their friends or waiting by the bus. It reminded her of her high school days when her mom would sometimes take her to school then go to her job at the veterinary clinic. When Claudia finally got her car, she took herself to school.

The drive to the donut shop was filled with her trying to not crash because of her constant daydreaming. She watched the happy people stroll down the streets, looking into the small display windows of shops. The bright sun rays shined throughout the city, making it feel like the end of school year had begun although it hadn't. They were quite there, but not fully. Exams were coming up so Claudia was a bit stressed over reteaching all the topics they discussed previously.

She finally parked in an empty parking space that was close to the donut shop. As she exited her car, she got her phone out to call her mom. After a few rings, Janis picked up. "What is it, child?"

"I'm at the donut shop? Want anything?" Claudia locked her car, and walked to the entrance of the very welcoming donut shop.

"Just some muffins. Wait do donut shops have muffins? Or is it cupcakes? Muffins are just naked cupcakes. Naked and depressed." Janis rambled on.

"Okay, I'll see what they have. Bye." She hung up the phone before stuffing it in her pocket. She got in line and looked up at the menu options. After figuring out what she was going to order, she waited patiently for her turn. She bobbed her head to the jazz music playing throughout the store.

Claudia kept her hands in her pockets, minding her own business like she always did. Simple as that. But she couldn't help turn her head to look at a couple seated at a table, laughing with each other. The man was grabbing the woman's hand looking so in love as the woman kept on talking, occasionally chuckling at her own words.

It was a lovely thing to see, thought Clauda. Love. She didn't really believe in it, but it was there. Everywhere, actually. As sappy as that sounded. Her mom loved her, she loved her mom, but that type of love, she had experienced everyday. There was another type of love that she didn't have. Between her and someone else.

"Ma'am? I can take your order over here." The young cashier waved to Claudia. She took her attention off the couple and walked to the cash register.

"Hi, can I have a dozen donuts. Half glazed, half chocolate with sprinkles?" Claudia started to take out her wallet from her bag. "That's all."

The young girl nodded, typing on the machine. "Eight dollars and fifty cents." She smiled at Claudia.

After paying for her donuts, the cashier handed Claudia her receipt. Like always, Claudia checked to see if everything was right. She furrowed her eyebrows when she saw that the cashier had charged her a small coffee. "Excuse me, I don't want to seem rude, but you put in a coffee. I just ordered donuts."

The girl took the receipt and checked. "Oh, I'm sorry. I guess my hand slipped. I'll fix that for you."

Claudia shook her head. "You're fine, I'll actually take that coffee. How much?" She took out loose change.

"Two dollars. I'm sorry, ma'am, I guess I got nervous or something." She apologized again.

As Claudia waited for her donuts, she talked with the cashier. "Why? Is it your first day?"

"No, but I'm going on my first date today. Once I leave in ten, I'll get ready and my date is going to pick me up. He's taking me ice skating at the mall. Well, his dad is. He doesn't have his license yet, his parents don't trust him." The cashier said with a giant smile on her face. "I really like him. I hope we get together officially."

A box of dozen donuts was placed on the counter along with a small coffee. "I hope you get your boy. Have a nice day and date." Claudia picked up her items and smiled at the girl. As she walked out the doors, Claudia couldn't help but think of love again. It really was everywhere.

Claudia sighed to herself. "Shit." She mumbled once she realized there could be a possibility that she might end up spending her whole life alone.

An: benjamín is coming soon dw my girl claudia will be looking at him like ❤👄❤