chapter thirty eight.

"Hey, don't fall asleep. We're still on the roof. I really don't want you falling off because I know your mom will hurt me if I let anything happen to you," Ben said.

Claudia had almost fallen asleep and all Ben cared about was her not falling off the roof. It was late. Most of their juice boxes and ice cream was already gone.

"Sleep is for losers," Claudia mumbled.
Her eyes were closed as she spoke.

"You have work tomorrow."

"Just a meeting, Ben, and it's in the afternoon." She replied.

"You should still sleep on an actual bed and not the roof. Come on, I'll help you." He said as he made sure Claudia didn't slip as she crawled back into her room. Ben made sure to get the empty ice cream cartons and juice boxes after safely getting Claudia into her room.

Right when Claudia crawled into bed, three knocks on the door were heard. Ben looked at a tired Claudia and decided it was best if he let her have some rest. He walked over to the door and opened it. Janis was drinking her lemonade from a party cup that read 'It's a girl!' with a plastic loop straw. She was already in her pajama shorts, a loose t-shirt and her slippers. Ben wanted to ask Janis if she knew about her unmatching slippers, but he stayed quiet.

"Hello, English man." Janis said.

"Hi Ms. Donovan," Ben chuckled nervously. "i was just about to leave."

Janis looked over Ben shoulder and saw Claudia wrapped in blankets on the bed. "Hmm, what a shame, I was just about to bring out the karaoke machine and yell out the lyrics to a Bon Jovi song. Tell me, Benny boy, do you like Bon Jovi?"

Ben didn't want to answer. He had a feeling that if he answered wrong, Janis would say something. So he improvised.

"Bon Jovi? I'm more of a Bowie fan myself, but both are enjoyable."

Janis choked on her lemonade. "Oh my holy shit,"

"Are you okay, Ms. Donovan?" Ben asked.

"Jesus Christ, Benjamin! I don't know what part of the UK you're from, but if you call me Ms. Donovan one more time, I will throw you out the window. Ms. Donovan makes me feel old as hell. Me? I'm not old." Janis said. Ben was thankful that Edward had arrived and joined the conversation.

"She once told me she drank from the fountain of youth." Edward commented.

"It's the truth. Look at me," Janis flipped her hair. "You wished you looked this good at my age. Goodbye and goodnight, old losers! Watch out for the stairs. I don't want you breaking a hip."

Edward and Ben watched as the dark haired woman danced her way into her room. "Wow." Ben mumbled.

Edward sighed. "I really don't know how I even got her to date me. Did you know we met at the PetSmart parking lot?"

"Really?"

"Yeah, but she doesn't want her future grandchildren to know that so she's going to tell them we met in a haunted house and that she saved us from the demons." Edward replied.

Ben laughed. "You two really are made for each other. I'm happy for you."

"Thanks. She told me that when she was younger, she used to say that if she ever got married, her husband was going to take her last name. And now she changed her mind. She wants to take my last name."

An: short chapter but i promise janis and ben are gonna be chaotic besties

also my friend said "happy milf day to my favorite made up milf" when i brought up janis in our texts yesterday 😭