chapter ninety six.

Janis scrolled through her messages, smiling at pictures of Claudia and Ben the blonde girl had sent her that morning. Her favorite was a picture of Claudia on top of a piano posing, the picture was most likely taken by Ben. The older woman was currently eating breakfast and drinking her morning coffee to wake up since she had an early shift at the vet.

Edward was sleeping on the couch since he had come home late and that was as far as he could make it while Layna was asleep in Claudia's room.

Janis put down her phone and drank the rest of her coffee until her mug was empty. She got up and placed the mug in the sink. As she was about to grab her bag from the counter, her phone began to ring. Not wanting to wake up Edward or Layna, she answered it quickly.

"Hello? Who's this?" Janis answered.

"Janis, it's me, Jessica. We went to high school together, we fought in the school bathroom then went to get ice cream after." A female voice replied.

Jessica . . . Nope, it still wasn't a name Janis remembered.

"Jessica? Um . . Yeah, hi! How are you? It's been so long since I've seen you? How's the husband and kids?" Janis went along.

"I've been divorced six years and my kids don't want anything to do with me and we saw each other a few days ago when I went to the vet with my dog. But that's not what I want to talk to you about. I have news, like major sad news for you." Jessica said.

"Oh, okay."

Jessica sighed. "Your mom wants to see you."

Janis felt confused and relieved. But mostly confused. So she bursted out laughing, but then quickly slapped a hand on her mouth when she remembered Edward and Layna were still sleeping. "Wait, really? I thought she died like fucking twenty years ago."

"No, someone admitted her and your dad to assisted living. Your dad unfortunately passed away ten years ago and now, it's Donna. And get this, she remembers you and she wants to see you before she . . you know."

"Christ, Jessica, just say dies! I get it my bitch of a mother wants to see me before she bites the dust, joins her other half in the afterlife, whatever!" Janis groaned. "Fuck Donnna Donovan and everything she ever did to me, I hope whenever she goes, it'll be painful because that's what she deserves." At this point, Edward was slowly waking up from all the loud shouting coming from his girlfriend.

"Uh, Janis . . . You're on speaker."

Janis didn't care if a manager or a nurse had heard her, she was telling the truth about Donna. But she felt like she was going to break something when she heard the voice of her mom on the other end of the line.

"You little shit!"

"Oh, I'm sure you wanna say more nice things to me, mom, so go ahead! I'm listening." Janis raised her voice.

And that's how it went. Both Donovan's had a screaming match over the phone. It took at least four nurses to get ahold of Donna, who was holding the phone like her life depended on it. Edward and Layna had woken up and saw Janis screaming into her phone then hanging up.

"Woah," Edward stared at the woman with wide eyes. "remind me not to make you mad ever."

"Who was that?" Layna asked.

"My mom, who I hate and I wish she never existed." Janis grabbed her bag and walked towards the door. She was already late for work.

"But then you wouldn't exist." Edward said.

Janis glared at him, which made the man nervous. "Edward, go to sleep. Now."

"Yes, ma'am."

An: yo how we feeling today ladies, gents and they/thems??

i was in georgia for a wedding and also work has been kicking my ass so that's the main reasons why i haven't updated, but I'm back 😩🥵🤪😈💯❗