chapter one hundred thirty eight.

JANUARY 2017

Claudia felt like her head was going to explode. All morning she had read through essays that her kids had written when they came back from winter break. She was told that the essay could be about anything, the kids just had to write an essay. So she gave them many different topics like the usual 'tell me what you did over break' or 'if you could change anything in the world, what would it be?'.

By the time Claudia had finished grading her last essay, it was late in the night. Ben wasn't even home, he was coming back from doing press. The Punisher was set to come out in November so Ben was going to be busier than usual. Claudia understood, Ben was in a Marvel show after all.

They hadn't really done much wedding planning. Usually when Lucy was around, she would bring up the topic of the wedding. When asked when the wedding was going to take place, Ben always answered with a quick 'i don't know'. Claudia thought that maybe by the end of the year they would officially be husband and wife.

It was about to be eleven o'clock when Claudia decided that going to bed was the best option. She didn't want to sleep on the couch, even though she had many times before. She always told Ben he had the most comfortable couch ever. She took her stack of graded essays and put the beside her work computer. She was thankful that it was the weekend, she could hardly keep her head up.

After making sure the front door was locked, Claudia walked to the bathroom to do her nightly skin routine that really only consisted of taking off her makeup and splashing water on her face and brushing her teeth. After she brushed her teeth, she heard her phone go off.

She figured it was just Ben telling her goodnight, but she was proven wrong when she saw an unknown number had texted her.

Unknown
Could you meet me at Arts District Park? I really need to talk to you.

This is Luke . . . your uncle.

Claudia had no idea who could have given Luke her number. She thought that maybe Nate had handed it over, but as far as she knew, Nate wasn't in her life anymore. It absolutely shattered her heart. She was so happy to tell him her good news about her pregnancy.

Claudia looked at the time. It was far too late to go out to the park. She was tired and all she wanted to do was curl up in her bed and sleep.

Claudia
Now?

Luke
Sorry, I should've clarified. Tomorrow. Maybe 10 AM? I promised my kids I would take them to the park. But i really need to talk to you.

Claudia
Okay, sure. I'll see you tomorrow.

Claudia really wasn't sure why she even agreed, but her gut was telling her it was important. Janis had always told her that she should always follow her gut, ten year old Claudia thought it was a funny way of saying it.

The next morning, Claudia got ready to meet with Luke in the park. She wore one of Ben's shirts and sweatpants. She grabbed her keys and phone and hoped that whatever Luke had to say, it wasn't anything bad. She arrived at Arts District Park a few minutes before ten. Right away she spotted Luke sitting on a bench watching over his two boys who were running around the playground.

She walked over to the older man and greeted him. She really wasn't sure if a hug was even the right way to greet him so she settled with a simple hello and a small wave. "I thought you didn't want to talk to anymore." She said as she took a seat next to him.

"Why? You're still my niece who I don't hate. Your dad is who is a pain in the ass." Luke lightly chuckled.

"Janis would agree with you on that." Claudia nodded.

"How is she by the way?"

"She's good. Last I heard, she's in Colorado with some friends she made in her support group. She's happy."

Luke smiled at the thought of Janis living a happy life. She deserved it and much more. "Listen, I don't want to waste much more of your time. It's about my parents and the whole things with your and Janis' house."

"What about it? I thought my mom gave the house back." Claudia said unsure.

"Yeah, she did. But I got it back for you two. I got sick and tired of my mother constantly talking bad about you and Janis, mainly Janis actually." Luke admitted.

Claudia couldn't really believe what Luke had said. "How'd you do it?"

Luke sighed. "I bought the house."

Claudia's eyes widened. "What?"

"I got a lawyer, figured shit out and bought the house. Plus my parents are assholes. They put the house up for sale and didn't think I had the money to buy it. It's under Janis' name now." He took the house key from his back pocket and held it out for Claudia to take.

Claudia slowly reached for the house key. She couldn't believe it. She had the house back. Her childhood home.

"Why?" Was all Claudia could say.

"My brother may have fucked up big time with you and Janis, but she was the only one that made me feel like my life wasn't shitty. When her and Nate were dating, I thought she was the coolest person on earth. She still is. I'm just being a good person." Luke explained.

"Thank you . . . Uncle Luke. Thank you so much."

Luke smiled warmly at the choice of words. He would do anything just to make sure Janis and Claudia were alright.