chapter one hundred twenty three

Weeks after Claudia got the good news, Claudia was back at the school. She sat in the chairs outside the main office, waiting for the temporary principal to talk to her. She would be lying if she said she wasn't nervous. It was a weekend so thankfully no kids were around to see her continously bounce her knee.

After what seemed like hours of waiting, a brunette woman in a pantsuit walked out of the office with a student's mom by her side. "Have a good day!" The short haired woman said as she waved goodbye to the mom. Then she looked over at Claudia. "I've heard great things about you, young lady."

Claudia stood up. "That's good to hear. Claudia Donovan," she introduced herself and shook the older woman's hand.

"Donovan? I have a strong feeling your mother is Janis Donovan," the woman said. "I don't think Janis ever spoke about me, we used to take candy from the corner store because we didn't have any money. I'm Beth Olsen."

"She hasn't mentioned anyone really other than a friend-"

"Lara? Yeah, those two were inseparable during high school," Beth chuckled. "But the past is the past and today is about you. I talked with your fellow teachers and you'll be back in your old classroom by the time the students come back from summer break."

Claudia smiled brightly. "I finally get to see my kids again," she quickly apologized for referring to the students as her kids.

"Don't worry about it. During my time as a teacher, I called them my kids too. One of them even invited me to their wedding in June. I'm always a fan of beach weddings."

Beth and Claudia walked up the stairs to where Claudia's old classroom was. When the blonde wasn't employed anymore, principal Howard used her classroom as a storage space. Now, it was empty and ready to use just for Claudia.

"So next school year will be a bit different. My plan is to finally bring in a good scholarship program, more after school clubs, a good counselor and give this school some color. Those boring gray stairs definitely have to go." Beth explained as she unlocked the door to Claudia's classroom.

"You sound like you have it all figured out. I like it." Claudia nodded.

"It's a work in progress, but I just hope it won't collapse when my final day comes around. I'm only here for so long, Claudia, I have a school of my own back home in Santa Monica. I only came here because I knew you deserved a second chance to give the kids a great education," Beth went on as she opened the door. The day before, she had dusted every corner of the room to have it ready to decorate. Beth had done it all by herself.

"Thank you again. I love these kids like my own." Claudia walked around her room and already started brewing up ideas for her classroom.

"I noticed, which is why I wanted to ask you a very important question. You can say no. Since I'm only here until December, the school's going to need a new principal. The school board threw out names of potential candidates, but I suggested you," Beth said. "Miss Donovan, you have the choice to be an English teacher or principal of this school. Either way, you'll be employed."

Claudia never thought about herself as a principal. If she was, then she could have a say in big decisions, decisions that would definitely make a difference in the school.

"Like I said, you can say no and we'll find someone that actually cares about the kids. I'll give you some time to think about it," Beth excused herself and walked to the door. "Welcome back, Miss Donovan." She said as she left the room.

Claudia really couldn't believe what just happened. Being a teacher was a huge responsibility, but a principal? I probably wouldn't last two days, she thought to herself. Maybe, for now, she should just stick to her teacher role. Thankfully, Beth didn't give her a deadline for her response.

The blonde woman took out her phone from her back pocket and called Ben. He was the one person she could count on to help make decisions.

"Hey, love, you okay?" He spoke into the phone.

"Yeah, more than okay actually. I have news. I got offered to be the principal of the school." Claudia said casually, but inside she was freaking out. She felt like it was all a dream.

"Holy shit, that's amazing!"

"Yeah, but I just want to teach my kids, Ben, I don't want to leave them. I left them once, I can't do it again."

"Honey, you won't be leaving them. You'll still see them in the halls." Ben replied.

"I know, but leaving them as a teacher. Believe it or not, i did miss them accidentally calling me mom. Yes, that happened frequently. Point is that, yeah principal is great, but I love being their teacher more than anything in the world."

"I understand. Which ever path you choose, I know you'll be great at it. I still haven't seen you teach the kids in person so with you still being a teacher, it'll give me a chance to bring lunch for all the kids and to see you."

"You're adorable, they'll love to meet you. Thanks for listening." Claudia said.

"Always. I love you." In the background, Claudia heard exaggerated gagging sounds. Then she heard Lucy's voice telling Ben how much of a lovesick man he was.

"I love you more. And Lucy too." She heard Lucy yell back that she loved her more, which caused Ben to shush her.
After ending their phone call, all Claudia could do was stare at her empty room.

An: so principal claudia or teacher claudia???👀

after this story is finished, I'll finally update my andrew and lucy story regularly <3